Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eating Whale Meat.

Re: Eating Whale Meat.

traditional methods are based on a cultures ability to advance or evolve their technology by any given means, otherwise the only traditional hunting would be with their hands because every other tool/weapon was invented
    in a recent court determination it was deemed that though the indigenous Australians would never have invented an outboard, guns, nylon nets etc, etc they could possibly have traded with others who did possess the tools to invent and manufacture
    that means that any method used by an advancing culture can construed as being traditional, no matter what apparently
    IFISHCQ2

So should their advances also go into understanding preservation of food sources? Cause in the territory it's illegal to keep barra under 55cm unless your aboriginal because it tradional food. My view is if the community wants tradional laws they should also live by tradional means otherwise we as a country are condoning double standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Micheal View Post
    Given the Koala's food source, I would imagine that it would taste like a good steak doused in liberal amounts of eucalyptus oil!!!
    Nope, tastes like chicken doused in liberal amounts of eucalyptus oil!! (sorry Rainbowrunner!)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    I would eat humans if it were legal. Do or die I say. I wanted to eat dog in Indonesia, but the wife would not let me cause she though I was eating a family pet. .
    In some cultures around the world humans (especially outsiders - or those losing in a tribal conflict) were a traditional food source - should we return to that? I don't think the Wallabies would be too keen to play a NZ Maori side if that were the case! Cruising yachties would definately be avoiding the Solomons, Vanuatu, PNG etc.

I think a few of the posters here are onto something with the whole cultural differences theme. By way of personal example; I recall in East Timor (on more than 1 occasion) running over a dog in a village, stopping and then humanely dipatching the injured pooch. Out of nowhere, villagers armed with machette's would appear. My buddies and I immediatley started to think we were in deep shit - we had killed someones pet and now we were in trouble. Our cultural reaction couldn't be further from the truth, these locals were just happy to have fresh meat! I remember one villager asking if he could have the dog if I didn't want it! Just a different cultural perspective to food.

Of course it's whole different argument whether a Landrove Defender could be considered a traditional hunting method.

Lovely people too, the Timorese!

Cheers,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    In some cultures around the world humans (especially outsiders - or those losing in a tribal conflict) were a traditional food source - should we return to that?
    theres the boat people solution ! lol
    The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    So should their advances also go into understanding preservation of food sources? Cause in the territory it's illegal to keep barra under 55cm unless your aboriginal because it tradional food. My view is if the community wants tradional laws they should also live by tradional means otherwise we as a country are condoning double standards.
    I am damn certain they would have been more than happy to continue living by traditional means until the white fellas came along and shoved them on reserves and the churches supplied them with alcohol.

as for whale..do they go okay with chips??

The Japanese are really being bloody minded, they dont like being dictated to. They have years & years supply of whale meat in frozen storage and spend a great deal of effort in trying to enourge inreased consumption, even to school children. (And thats just with "Scientific" sources of whale meat. There was pretty limted whaling in Japan of old, some coastal vilages did use to hunt whales but the main period of consumption in Japan was only after WW2, driven by the yanks as it was a readily available cheap source of protein....so the whole "Traditional" argument is somewhat spurious.

thank you Crunchy for your post,

sadly, the debate over Japanese whaling is more about money than
    "traditional hunting".

I have no problems at all with Eskimos that would traditionaly hunt whales & seals as a source of protein, I totally accept that this was a real way of life for them,

but it REALLY p!sses me off that the "traditional" excuse is used to hide a high finance venture, in any country.

The use of traditional methods of capture ensures that the population of the target animal will not be decimated.

Muzz

Good Post here, reminded me of a news story a while back about the japanese gov trying and failing to sell/give away
    900T of the whale meat of the whale meat from their "scientific" hunting program. so if they cant sell it why are they
    still hunting them?? I personally am not a fan of this style of hunting as it seems cruel to me. I dont spear fish then
    leave them to bleed out i kill straight away and ice to produce the best for the plate.
    http://now.msn.com/japan-selling-ple...-next-barbecue

Also reminded me of a doco i saw a while back called the cove. Based in taiji they hunt doliphins by bashing metal pipes
    together under water and herd them into a bay and slaughter hundreds at
    a time for their meat, with an annual quota of 20000 dolphins it is a pretty brutal affair.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...ng-japan-taiji

I am in no way a greeny but it really cheeses me off when they hunt whales in a ozy zone or trade area
    and our apparent gov states that they are taking legal action we will hear back in 12 months!!!

http://herrickreport.com/whalerecipes.html

the first recipe:

Whale Stew
    Ingredients:

1 (105 ton) Whale
    1896 lbs Onions
    7326 lbs Potatoes
    1908 gallons Tomato Sauce
    2276 lbs Carrots
    927 lbs Celery
    104 lbs Salt
    76 lbs Black Pepper
    52 gallons Tabasco Sauce

Directions:
    Place whale in pot with tomato sauce. Cook at 300 degrees for 4 hours. Add onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce. Simmer 36 hours. Serves 347,161 people.

this is the perfect 1 pot stew,,,, when those pesky unexpected visitors arrive,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

I was given some to eat when in Japan

nothing special, certainly not worth all the effort they go to

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    I was given some to eat when in Japan

nothing special, certainly not worth all the effort they go to
    I think a lot of it has more to do with tradition more than anything else.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I am damn certain they would have been more than happy to continue living by traditional means until the white fellas came along and shoved them on reserves and the churches supplied them with alcohol.
    Indigenous Australians account for less than 3% of the population with many of them on the poverty line. Think about how many you see putting a boat in down at a boat ramp in Brisbane or else where. If you had a total figure for people who own boats I'd be guessing that way less than 3% would be Indigenous, Giving them traditional hunting rights doesn't impact fisheries. Many communities up here in the north have chosen to stop getting turtle and dugong while numbers recover from Yasi. Pinhead is right - They would love to hunt like they did 200 years ago if the environment went back to how it was back then ... no trawlers, mangrove coastlines etc. And anyway - I'm sure people would start complaining if they built a stone fish trap at Main Beach - look how we handle it when they put up a tent

So respecting the rights of others to eat planet food sustainably no matter what it is and how its harvested seems to be reasonable to me. Really worries me that so many are trying to be kill method police as well these days. Im in no way supportive of cruelty, but If you take their views to logical conclusions, we will all be banned from fishing with hooks eventually, Prob wont happen, but that just shows how inconsistant this whole worship of animals lobby really is.
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Love your Avatar Choppa

I reckon Panda would taste best.... fatty, loads of taste.... why else would it be endangered
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.