Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eating Whale Meat.

Re: Eating Whale Meat.

Quote Originally Posted by onerabbit View Post
    I really dont have so much problem with traditional hunting of certain animals, so long as they are hunted in a traditional manner,
    if certain Asians went out & hunted whales in a canoe with a big pointy stick, as their traditional ancestors did, no probs at all,
    the whales would probably cull as many of them as they did the whales,
    as for them hunting them in a big ship with exploding tip harpoons.........I"M DEAD AGAINST IT.

I may get bagged for my opinion,

but cetaceans do us no harm, nor do they impinge on our world in any way,
    perhaps scare the crap out of the odd fisho, but we put ourselves out there.......
    OK, so they eat a few prawns (krill),
    just because they are there dosn't mean we have the automatic right to kill & eat them,

I see them as a higher life form than just fish.

Just my opinion,

Muzz
    Flawed argument onerabbit.

If you take the line of going back to hunting whale with traditional tools, then we all will need to hand in our fishfinders, plotters GPS, Radars, carbon steel hooks, fluorocarbon leader, not to mention our Suzies Hondas, yammies and the like, and use bone hooks and swamp woven rope for line. Very visible they tell me! What makes it necessary to expect traditional methods to hunt for one fish and not another?
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Ithink that the excuse of "traditional right to hunt" is flawed,

we accept certain things that we may not agree with because of "traditional rights".......

no probs, let them do it in a traditional way.

I did not even try to suggest that we as fishos need to hand our gear in.......we are not claiming "traditional rights" to hunt & kill a protected species.

Muzz

But thats my point Muzz. If we expect others to hunt only using traditional, where do you draw the line and around what species?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbowrunner View Post
    are certain indigenous tribes here in Australia still allowed to hunt dugong and marine turtles? I remember hearing about that somewhere.

Yep, as far as I know they are

lol I wonder what Koala tastes like . . . . .and dont say chicken!!

we eat kangaroo and emu anyway, imagine the uproar if I had a koala on the spit?

some cultures dont eat pigs or cows yet thats the main meat in my local butcher
    The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

Are the Australian Government indirectly conducting their own culling of whale numbers by allowing the mega trawler into australian waters?

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    But thats my point Muzz. If we expect others to hunt only using traditional, where do you draw the line and around what species?
    Mate, what is so hard to understand????

PROTECTED SPECIES.....
    that means you cant kill & eat them,
    unless you have traditional rights to do so.

Normal fish are not under the same umbrella of protection.
    End of story.

Muzz

Isn't there also an issue with mercury in whale meat?

we eat kangaroo and emu anyway, imagine the uproar if I had a koala on the spit?

Given the Koala's food source, I would imagine that it would taste like a good steak doused in liberal amounts of eucalyptus oil!!!

With us humans at the top of the food chain we will end up eating ourselves out of house and home.
    Korea is down to eating grass and rice so any additional supplement to their diet would be welcome.
    The whales will probably end up choking on our rubbish so why not use the resource as we do with every other edible resource on this planet.
    But with all the heavy metal and nuclear contamination of our oceans species would you really want to eat it?
    I dont see anyone making a fuss about other countries eating their family pet or horses(who are supposed to be intelligent).
    The reality is that us humans are feeling guilty about eating everything else on this planet so we are making a token effort to save one of our oceans species.
    Just think about it. We are the only country in the world that eats their national emblem, kangaroo and emu.
    I think we are in no position to be judgemental over other cultures.

Only a matter of time guys.
    cheers.

Just on whale sightings as well, yesterday I was trolling at a wreck off Cairns and probably 50 -60 Pilot whales turned up and frolicked around for nearly an hour. We caught on mackies but it was intriuging. I was hoping none of them grabbed my trolled gar, as I would still be fighting it, Not sure what these one eat.

Quote Originally Posted by onerabbit View Post
    Mate, what is so hard to understand????

PROTECTED SPECIES.....
    that means you cant kill & eat them,
    unless you have traditional rights to do so.

Normal fish are not under the same umbrella of protection.
    End of story.

Muzz
    Maybe they shouldnt be protected absolutely as they are obviously breeding up, and maybe if all the the emotion went out of it we could have an International Forum which promotes a sustainable take of whale meat, and the Japanese are no longer the whipping boy for global greenie crazies and we all eat happily ever after LOL

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It used to be a "Tradition".. to use dynamite in loc al creeks to catch a good feed for all the local farming families for a big party.... So whoever it was said if they used traditional methods it is ok....OMG...think again please.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

I would eat humans if it were legal. Do or die I say. I wanted to eat dog in Indonesia, but the wife would not let me cause she though I was eating a family pet.

Anyway, nothing wrong with eating whale, so long as its sustainable. I was watching a doco on the green peace pirates the other day, shame the Japanese did not jail Andy Gil for boarding the Shonan Maru.

I was pondering this statement and have to say koala must taste like chicken.

Anyway I agree with edberg if the traditional people are claiming tradional food source catch it with tradional methods if they want to catch their food source using western methods live by western laws. Why is there double standards?