Thread: Shornecliffe jetty closed.

Shornecliffe jetty closed.

Went to go for a fish and found the jetty closed off. Noticed on the way home many houses have save the pier signs. Anyone know what is going on?

Re: Shornecliffe jetty closed.

Been going for for a quite a while, usual story, Council inspection found the Jetty to be unsafe, so it got closed off. Now every man and their dog have an opinion on what should happen, repair it, rip it down, replace it etc etc.

In the current economic climate, I wouldn't be expecting anyone to spend money on it.

Yes it has been going for a while but I thought that a decision had been made to restore and improve it...see this post from Si in June of this year

Re: I forgot how much I love Shorncliffe Pier
    well after a period of time where the future of the pier was in question and was shut down for the last coupla months, i have just recieved news that it will be upgraded and continue to be a historically important landmark. good news.
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...fe#post1397425

However a bit of a look on the web indicates that it is far from decided what will happen and that replacement is more likely than restoration, but even that is a few years away.

Tim

dig the heels in boys. i remember cleveland jetty being pulled down. absolute crime. half a kilometre of jetty that allowed people without boats to catch snapper, jew, mackerel, you name it - it was caught off that old jetty. i used to ride my pushy down there and camp overnight. probably the saddest thing i remember is the night a couple of police cadets were vandalising the jetty by throwing the flooring beams over the side for a lark. wonder how that pair are getting their kicks these days.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Brings back memories of the Hornibrook Bridge,

Was reported as being extremely unsafe for people to walk and fish off,

Now gone and a distant memory of walking and fishing on this wonderful fishing platform for the boatless,

And the anger rising inside me when i saw massive semi trailers, day after day carting big loads of demolished timber, along the length of this unsafe for pedestrians icon

One would be forgiven if they thought GREED was the driving factor there, all that recycled hardwood??? along with other demolished sections of the Old Bridge, Bastards!

Cheers,

John.
    PS. You can't trust any bloody politician.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas & Clarry View Post
    Yes it has been going for a while but I thought that a decision had been made to restore and improve it...see this post from Si in June of this year

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...fe#post1397425

However a bit of a look on the web indicates that it is far from decided what will happen and that replacement is more likely than restoration, but even that is a few years away.

Tim
    yes thats correct Tim. They have indicated they will spend money on it but not for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    probably the saddest thing i remember is the night a couple of police cadets were vandalising the jetty by throwing the flooring beams over the side for a lark. wonder how that pair are getting their kicks these days.
    Probably beating people in watch houses

my dad took me fishing on this pier when i was 2 or 3 as with many other people. many great memories, even recent ones. i even had my wedding photos on it. shts me the amount i pay in rates and taxes and they cant restore an historic and culturally important landmark.

Unfortunately it's all caught up in politics. The local councilor is labor's Victoria Newton and she promised she'd save the pier if it was the last thing she did, Lord Mayor Quirk also promised to save it but the local Deagon electorate rejected his LNP candidate. He has the purse strings but can't make it look like the local Labor councilor is saving the pier. I expect it will be done in small stages without a lot of fanfare and the final stage certainly won't be done just before the next council election so Newton can point to her promise.
    ~~~><))))*>

I use to fish off it as a kid loved it, its a shame that it has been alowed to get to this stage..
    TEAM F.C.R.

They also have that floating walkway to rebuild, similar lengths, maybe similar costs I'm not sure, I heard 20 mil for the pier. Which gets re-built first?????? No one fishes from the walkway but it saw so much more traffic. Would be good to see both asap

Edit - 70 mil to replace the floating walkway.....ouch!
    ~~~><))))*>