Thread: Old Coleman Lantern

Old Coleman Lantern

Picked up this old Coleman Air O Lantern from a junk store recently in pretty rough shape.
    A bit of tinkering,a good clean, new mantles and globe and I've got the brightest lantern you will ever see.
    Amazing for a lantern made in 1919.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Old Coleman Lantern

Is it a Kero job and pump up the tank with air as the name suggests ?.Looks like a beauty.

It runs off Shellite or Coleman fuel and has a separate pump.
    Modern lanterns have the pump built in.

We love it when old stuff is given new life, reuse, repair, restore or re-purpose it is all good.

Lantern looks great...I wonder what it has seen in its 93years of existence?

Tim and Trace

I often wonder about the history of old relics like this.
    It will probably still be going in another 93 years.
    I have a small collection of lanterns from the early to mid 1900s and they all work.
    They're fun to tinker with as well.

They still make these lanterns today. They are simple, efficient and very bright. I've got one that I run on unleaded petrol when camping.
    They also have a much warmer/comforting light than the LED lanterns (feel like your camped at a public toilet block).
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

Quote Originally Posted by Kero View Post
    They still make these lanterns today. They are simple, efficient and very bright. I've got one that I run on unleaded petrol when camping.
    They also have a much warmer/comforting light than the LED lanterns (feel like your camped at a public toilet block).
    Some of my mates use LED lighting. I call them Fairy Lights.