Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Shimano reel

Re: New Shimano reel

10kg of drag on a 2500 reel is a waste of time..

cheers tim

Quote Originally Posted by TIM D View Post
    10kg of drag on a 2500 reel is a waste of time..

cheers tim
    KINGCRAY - I mean stradic ci4 not the fj

Tim-D - not really,i fish yamba reguarly and its hard stopping 5-10kg jew sometimes,extra drag is welcomed in my opinion without having to upsize reel.

First thing i would do is pull out the drag scales and test it, i highly doubt it will pull 10kg's of drag. But if it does i bet theres that much pressure on the rotor it will pull in and touch the spool. I use a 4500 Saltiga S Extreme (rated at 10kg drag) with a 8-15kg Egrell Rod and don't even use 10kg of drag over the rod because at about 7-8kg the fish is almost pulling me over the side of the boat. What rod are you intending on using that will match up nicely with a 2500 size reel and handle 10kg of drag over it ???

I had a Shimano Saragosa 18000f that was supposed to have 20kg of drag, i tested it on the drag scales with the drag fully locked and it only had 10kg's, so don't always trust the claims reel manufacturers make.

cheers tim

First thing i would do is pull out the drag scales and test it, i highly doubt it will pull 10kg's of drag. But if it does i bet theres that much pressure on the rotor it will pull in and touch the spool. I use a 4500 Saltiga S Extreme (rated at 10kg drag) with a 8-15kg Egrell Rod and don't even use 10kg of drag over the rod because at about 7-8kg the fish is almost pulling me over the side of the boat. What rod are you intending on using that will match up nicely with a 2500 size reel and handle 10kg of drag over it ???

I had a Shimano Saragosa 18000f that was supposed to have 20kg of drag, i tested it on the drag scales with the drag fully locked and it only had 10kg's, so don't always trust the claims reel manufacturers make.

cheers tim
    Yeah,your probably right,but for $10 extra over the ci4 stradic for a newer and stronger drag,plus a bonus spare spool that the stradic doesnt have, as well as the blokes reccomending the reel to me,i was and still am happy with it.

You dont agree, cool, i dont care.

goodnight.

Mate im sure the reel is a beauty and will serve you well, just saying you probably wont benefit from 10kg of drag on a 2500 size reel.

cheers tim

Mate im sure the reel is a beauty and will serve you well, just saying you probably wont benefit from 10kg of drag on a 2500 size reel.

cheers tim
    SP Dude I have the 5000 Rarenium with 11kg of drag and used every bit of it on a 146cm Cobia I also have a CI44000 Stradic and I rate the Rarenium a better and smoother reel ! Tim has never caught a fish over 5kg mate so his opinion doesn't really count

And yes the spare spool is great plan to spool mine with different line size as well

Caught a few over 5kg's Dick

I'll bet you a packet of gulps that your 5000 Rarenium doesn't have 11kg of drag

cheers tim

Caught a few over 5kg's Dick

I'll bet you a packet of gulps that your 5000 Rarenium doesn't have 11kg of drag

cheers tim
    Make it Zman and your on

Quote Originally Posted by Dicktracey View Post
    Make it Zman and your on

I wouldnt know,but at a guess dicktracey is getting the zmans,Shimano have to big a reputation plus all the legalities to sell a product that doesnt do as stated.

Timmy,
    Do you test the drag using scales by just tying the line to the sprung end of the scales and pull away?

also do you run the line thru the rod or are we just testing the drag so straight from the reel to scales?

Anyone had there hands on a Shimano Stella C3000HG Spinning Reel? Japanese domestic model but specs suggest would do a job on light sp work.?

@hugo I have a twinpower c3000 and it's a damn nice reel. That stella would be awesome.

@tim d A saragosa isn't exactly in the same ballpark as a rarenium, pull one apart or hey you could actually USE ONE before commenting!

I have saragossa 18000 and sw stella 8000. I have had both drags to 19 kg on heavy loomis spin stick by using scales on end of line. I find both drags very similiar. Tim i think there is something wrong with yours. Send it to shimano and they fix for free. Rarely do they charge me for anything.

Spare spool is also good if you want to spool one up with quality mono.

Dan

Hey MRD,Not smartarse,just curious,What would you target with Mono ? and why would you use Mono instead of braid ?