Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Jigheads

Re: DIY Jigheads

Brian if you want any acetone let me know, we have thousands of litres of it at work

cheers tim

Ausfish Silver Member

Si, very nice jig heads. Powder paint ?Do you heat bake /treat them? How do those mustad hooks go with the squire/snaps?

Cheers,

Lew

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

The mustad 32786BLN hooks are very good and I use them in my smaller range of Hot lips jigs up to 1.5oz (2/0 to 5/0) and in my shad jigheads up to 3/4oz. Biggest snapper caught to date on one is 9kg.

Cheers
    Barry

nice work , i was looking at getting some molds and making my
    own aswell when i get some time because i have about 160kg
    of lead ingots sitting around.

was looking at these jighead molds and even contemplated trying
    out some of their diy plastics after i saw them at the T&T show in brissy

http://www.u-make-emsoftplastics.com...hp?cPath=89_11

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Si, very nice jig heads. Powder paint ?Do you heat bake /treat them? How do those mustad hooks go with the squire/snaps?

Cheers,

Lew
    lew, yeah powder paint is.....like a dry form of paint to put it simply. hard for me to answer specifically so i pulled this from a website. There are some varients to this as well.

The main components are resins (the basic ingredient), pigments (gives colour), curing agents (makes the powder harden) and additives (the secret ingredients). They are weighed and mixed together as a dust. This mixture is then heated and squeezed through an extruder (like a meat mincer) that melts and mixes the ingredients together. On cooling, the mix is crushed to make a dust of the required particle size. The dust is then boxed and shipped to the applicator.

i heat the jighead in the oven and then pull it out and 'swish' them through the powder paint which sits in a pvc round fitting ('fluidiser') that i induce air into by an aquarium pump seperated by a coffee filter. This makes the powder paint light and fluffy and gives an really nice coating as long as you dont 'swish' it too much. i then bang it in the oven at 150 deg cel for twenty minutes or so to cure/harden. i then pull it out and cool it, you can then put any additions like eyes on, followed by epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    nice work , i was looking at getting some molds and making my
    own aswell when i get some time because i have about 160kg
    of lead ingots sitting around.

was looking at these jighead molds and even contemplated trying
    out some of their diy plastics after i saw them at the T&T show in brissy

http://www.u-make-emsoftplastics.com...hp?cPath=89_11
    go for it mate. If you do a search on here there are quite a few people who have done it, most notably scalam, tim d and of course dayoo (Barry) who you can glean some great tips from and things to look out for. takes a bit of dollars to set up (breathing apparatus with organic vapour canister, ladel, burner - i use my camping stove and gas cylinder and a $7.00 kitchen steel measuring cup to pour to keep things cheap and nasty, gloves, do it mould, straight snips, file) but once you do, you are away. For me it's just something to do while i dont have my boat or when the weather is ordinary.

cheers

Ausfish Silver Member

Si/ Barry,

Thankyou for the info on the paint, methods and hooks. The use of air and the oven seems the go. I ll be trying some of those mustad.

Cheers,

Lew

Quote Originally Posted by TIM D View Post
    Brian if you want any acetone let me know, we have thousands of litres of it at work

cheers tim

Once a thief, always a thief.

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

[QUOTE=pegasus;1401025]Si/ Barry,

Thankyou for the info on the paint, methods and hooks. The use of air and the oven seems the go. I ll be trying some of those mustad.

Cheers,

Lew you can come over to my place at Everton Hills and I can show you simple and efficient methods for powder coating, where to get the powder coat at a cheep price, sourcing hooks, sourcing two pack and 3D eyes etc. Send me a PM for my contact details.

Cheers
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Blindfreddy View Post
    Once a thief, always a thief.

Please Explain ???

No need to pal. It seems as though you have "borrowed from your employer before.