Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual battery set up

I am not sure if this was mentioned.....

As I understand it you shouldn't ever switch between batteries while engine is running... The rectifier might crap itself if you do.

Some isolators have a make before break arrangement apparently that allows it but it probably not worth risking.

Re: Dual battery set up

Just dragging up an old thread but in this scenario (above) do you run on both 1&2 while travelling to put charge into both batteries? Or are you better off doing it manually ie travel on 1 for a bit then swap it over to 2 and so on? A good bloke from this forum gave me one of those switches and its probably about time I used it.

I have one of these switches in my bluefin and i usually run out on battery 1 and come home on 2 and have switched over while on the run and never had a problem in 860 hrs on the same pair of batteries which I just had tested at service and are still fine after 9 yrs UNBELIEVABLE ...Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I am just in the process of installing a switch and second battery in my boat (18ft Yalta half cab) and was wondering if anyone can offer some advice on the best location for the switch.
    My initial thought was to put it down the back of the boat. The batteries sit under the motor well on one side and the oil tank on the other, I thought maybe putting it above the batteries on the inner edge of the motorwell (inside of the boat if you can follow what I mean).
    Then I thought maybe it might be better and more convenient to put it on or near the dash where it would be quick and easy to get to and also not so much exposed to the elements. This would obviously require longer cables - would that be an issue at all?

Closer to the batteries means less cables. They need to be big so shorter is better generally.

Just make sure you can access it while seats are in place etc.

Best system I know is charge one in week prior to trip(optional)

Go out on it. As soon as arrive and have stopped motor, switch to other. Use it all day and return on it.

That way you know you have a proven good, recently used battery well charged in reserve.

Next trip same thing but use opposite battery.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Thanks WL, sounds like good advice, access is no problem as there are no rear seats.

If the cable run is longer you may need to upsize the cable so you dont get voltage drop - refer to various online calculators to determine the correct size for the run - remember that the length of the run for these calculation purposes is the run to the switch and back to the batteries (round trip).

I would personally mount the switch down the back for this reason and so any "stray" hands dont play with the switch if it is mounted on the dash, or in the vicinity. Your call though.

If it is a decent switch it will be waterproof to IP66 or the like (Blue Sea). Use tinned cable, tinned copper cable lugs and glue lined heat shrink on the cables. Try and get the lugs without the moon shaped opening in the lug if possible. If not possible fill and seal the the opening starbright liquid electrical tape (whitworths) to seal up the opening to to limit water ingress to the cable.

Example of cable lug with moon shaped opening:

http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/cable-lugs

Example of "closed" cable lug

http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/2307...d=230770809469

Spray whole assembly with Lanox or your favourite spray - repeat every so often - and your good to go with it mounted down the back.

thanks Juggernaut, that all makes good practical sense, I will locate it down the back and make all connections as suggested. Thanks again.

And I am planning to do this tomorrow as well.
    Almost could not start to come home this arvo.
    Pauly
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

All done and installed now, new switch & new battery. All working as it should, even installed some new LED lighting for night fishing trips. Just waiting for my new C-TEK300 charger to arrive to maintain the new system. All I need now is for this bloomin' Cairns wind to die down so I can get out there. Missed a small window on Saturday where the wind eased of enough to go out but them's the breaks I guess. Going by Seabreeze the next week is out of the question with it blowin 20 to 30 knots, but I suppose that's to be expected up here at this time of the year.

BEP make a product called Voltage Sensing Relay (VSR), if you have the room I would cluster it next to your switch, it will charge battery two once battery one is fully charged. Easy to install as it will come with two short link cables which will connect to the new switch you installed providing you install it right next to it; usually above the battery switch.

One more tip for your battery terminal connections at the batteries themselves, rather than using a spray that you need to keep maintaining, you can buy a Printed Circuit Board laquer from Jaycar which will give it a coating you don't need to touch again unless you remove the battery terminals of course.