Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Diesel for Llittle Boats

Re: Diesel for Llittle Boats

Yeh, should have called darth vadar.

I've got Limo tint on my Bertram and it is really good. You can't see in at all, and it blocks 72% of the heat. But standing inside looking out, it is just like having sunglasses on, not too dark at all.

I imagine on Smithys boat, with an open bulkhead hardtop, it would be even lighter than mine looking out.

Cheers,
    Myles
    "Elempi" American Bertram 33, 3208T Caterpillar power

Smithy, what motor do you have? Whats your cruise and max speed and fuel burn at both?

www.25bertram.com for plenty of repowered 25s.
    Noosacat 3100

http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines/diesel/tdi/

I have been looking at these

Diesel 350 hp = 368 KG

Yamamha 350 HP outboard petrol = 364KG

Getting there

Hi Whirlybird,

Have you had any prices on that 4.2L version (with or without leg?)?

Thanks

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by peterbo3 View Post
    If you want a lower profile deckbox over your diesel you are going to need a wider boat to give you more room under deck, which should not be a huge issue with the relaxation of overwidth trailer regulations.
    Combined with a prop tunnel & keel as shown on Rob's boat, you can run a shaft system on a small boat. The tunnel shown below is on a much larger boat & is big to accomodate the propellor.
    Given a set of drawings done by a Naval Architect, a good alloy builder will fix you up. But it will not be cheap.
    However, I have spent a lot of time on Rob's boat & his engine box is great. It is a simple system & it is 100% functional. You can access the filters, belts, heat exchanger anodes & all the other things that need to be got at from the deck.

We have also looked at widening the beam to get extra room but it only makes to hull sit higher in the water as its adds buoyancy, the dead rise would have to be reduced and therefor loosing the extra room. where pretty close to getting a design sorted that will tick the boxes.

G'day,
    It all depends on what you want from the boat. Speed, distance to travel, bottom basher, troller?

The Capricorn really impressed me, the only negative for me was the lack of bunks. The little Arvors are great too, but if you need to run 50nm, the 16kt cruise speed will probably rule it out. Steber Persuader are a great option too.

If you look at all of the above boats, you will be able to get ideas to build you own.

Personally I would be going for a mid mount, v-drive shaft drive, with or without a prop tunnel. There is really no problem with them going on a trailer, once the trailer is well designed. Otherwise, jack shaft to a stern drive is the go.

I think you have to start with a clear plan of what the boat will be used for, and start from there. This will make it a different boat for each person pretty well, but that is the whole point of a bespoke boat.

Cheers,
    Myles
    "Elempi" American Bertram 33, 3208T Caterpillar power

My Yanmar is the 4lha-stp 230hp 4 cyl at 3.45 litres capactiy. The current version is a 240hp motor. Would have to look up how much it weighs. It is connected to a ZF gearbox running auto transmission fluid. If I was to repower I would look at all the options. Captain Rednut reckons the Hyundai Seasal would be a good choice for me. I think they do a 265hp version. I would love the ability to go to whatever gearbox and have a trolling valve. The Yanmar comes with that ZF box and that is it. One running the same oil as the main engine would be good like most boat gearboxes. Electric Morse controls or similar would be nice to a Twin Disk box. The VW based V6 twin turbos would be good. Cummins-Mercruiser were doing one of those at 285hp I think. Sounds like they just had a lovers tiff though and Mercruiser is out on its own. You'd also have the Steyr and the Iveco motor to throw into the mix but there is a lot to be said for the older an proven technology of the Yanmar compared to these high revving ticking time bombed to the ass engines. I get about 27-29 litres an hour for 2800rpm for say 18knots. Hard to know. I don't have floscan which would be good and with 460-500 litres of fuel tank, I never keep them 100% full as I would be carrying around heaps of weight. I usually only fill my port tank as my prop torque really lays me over to starboard. Eventually my tanks even up due to gravity and also because I send my return line to both. I have the ability to draw off either tank or return to either. All I can go off is the 415 litre trip I did from 1770-Mooloolaba when I bought it down which was 12 and a bit hours for 29 litres an hour with a dirty bum. I have just repitched my prop to get it to spin to its 3300rpm a bit easier. I was a bit over propped for the weight I push around. Maximum continuous rpm for that motor is 3100. I probably top out at 23knots now. If I run at 2950-3000rpm I get my 20knots. That is running a 21"x21" prop. It originally spun a 21"x23" prop.

On the tint, I am not happy with it. I am not sure why Mick the old owner went with that. It is on my program to change. Baby steps though. It isn't too bad as Myles said, being open bulkhead it is just like having sunnies on. At night I only run with the GPS and engine gauges on with a beanie or hat over the compass and I pick up tinnies and stuff at anchor ok. As soon as I can afford it I am going to side clears. The hard top is great at the moment in winter and for water proofness. I still put the nose through short sharp ones at troll speed etc. so a bit rolls up the windscreen. Originally this boat had a perspex windscreen to clear infill setup. The 2nd Capricorn was the ultimate. It had a full glass windscreen with opening panels etc. to infill clears.

This is the motor we are looking at using http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines...l/tdi/?model=1 its a VW engine jack shaft to a Bravo 3 Leg.

Smithy are they still building any Capricorn's?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    Hi Whirlybird,

Have you had any prices on that 4.2L version (with or without leg?)?

Thanks

Scott
    They were saying mid 30k but as typical salesmen didnt want me using my TRS leg and couldnt agree on a price untill they see my boat so i said "its in my driveway come and have a look" they gave up on the idea after that. No skin off my nose 35k back in my pocket and off i go.

PB,

they just finished the third one. It was Ray's personal one for use up at Pt Hinchinbrook. They made it into a centre console with a small cuddy at the front like some of the big US centre consoles. As far as I know George from Reelax was keeping Steve Peake on to do fibreglassing for him and to do Steve's Skippercraft Archer 650s. Steve is Clayton Peake's brother from SA. The moulds are all there at the back of Voyager Cats shed at Woongoolba. The guy from Legacy Boats was involved in the build as well. Rays had the 200hp Yanmar installed instead of the 240 to the keep the cost down a bit and he will only be playing in Hinchinbrook passage.

Interesting numbers. My 25 Bertram runabout with a single 280hp Volvo V8 with duoprop. does approx 32lts/hr/3000rpm at 20knots.

In order of preference I would like a diesel shaft, then outboard then a stern drive for a boat that is permanently moored. Dealing with barnacle growth on a stern drive gets old real quick.
    Noosacat 3100

Was on a small Arvor (215 maybe ??) about 18mths ago and struck me how the engine box was hardly even noticeable and pretty low. Obviously no rocket ship and had a small Cummins i think..maybe about 110-125hp. No idea how they go in open water but nice deck layout.
    Dont know if anyone does same for bigger donks...no idea what they could cram into that space but looked tiny and low even for that type of rig.
    Clayton Gallant around 7m would be perfect for xmas, but the big diesel sterndrive looks like it takes up half the cockpit and as high as gunwhales.

there seem to be a lot of commercial 7m shark cats with single 200hp volvos. Why? stats I have found is 15Lph at 15 knots which ticks my 1nm per litre box but surley at that speed the cat hull is actually a disadvantage and it woud ride like pus? Don't you need speed for the tunnel to work? Most workingboats are highly powered, not the other way around. I would have thought mid 20's would be the aim for cruising speed in a cat. Also I thought planing hull cats weren't great at carrying massive loads but these spanner cats must be? Is it becaue they are'nt trying to go fast?