Thread: Satillite phone

Lightbulb Satillite phone

Hello fello Ausfishers,

Any one got a satillite phone?
    Is there any thing I should look out for/ make sure mine has (accessories)?
    What brand and model?
    Price/s of phone/ accessories/ credit?

Cheers and tight lines
    Stop professional fishing... before it's too late!

Re: Satillite phone

I believe some cheaper ones can't access the emergency services network (ie. triple zero). I'd be making sure by asking the question first before you buy one.

Have a look at this mob. http://indigotelecom.com.au/ they have a dual phone that works on the telstra next g network when avail and if no telstra network avail it works on their own satellite .
    Their call costs are substantially less than all the other networks.
    The only thing with all satellite phones are that they have to be able to see the satellite and do not work indoors or in heavy bbush. ( Same as your gps).
    Most BCF stores are agents.
    I do not know about their capability of contacting 000 but an simple alternative is to program in the direct number for police,ambulance etc.
    Cheers
    Ray

I have an Iridium (model 9505a) phone. Bought it a couple of years ago from the USA on ebay. It came with a protective carry case, selection of international plugs for the charger, car charger and car kit (external magnetic aerial for car roof), plus hands free ear piece thingy. At the time with crappy exchange rate it was a bit over a grand landed in aus.

The reasons I bought this model phone are:

- Arguably the best satelite network coverage wise (at the time).
    - telstra is the australian partner for iridium.
    - no contract needed if you have a telstra sim card (not micro sim - but you could use an adaptor) with global roaming enabled. Calls to and from phone charged to your telstra mobile account.
    - Reliable.

Cons;
    - the number of the phone is your mobile number, so if you get lots of calls each day it will cost you lots and lots (okay for me - I have no friends!). You could get a seperate plan and sim for just the sat phone.
    - without a set plan, calls are charged at a premum. Doesn't worry me, I just wanted it for emergencies.

There are more updated models (smaller too - this thing is like a brick!) available now and there is also second hand models of my phone for sale (in aus) as a result.

Cheers,
    Jim

+1 what boathog said
    any telstra sim works so long as globabl roaming enabled so you can just get a prepaid sim or 0$ plan sim and put credit on it if you dont want to use your normal sim

000 will not work on any sat call as it is an international call. your calls also get charged at the international calling rate.
    Iridium are a great brand and are world wide reconsidered. Military even use these ones both within Australia and overseas.

Troy,

I have a sat Iridium extreme/ telstra plan

emergency works both 000 and 112

Inside australia just call standard number with area code prefix to land line

cheers