Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bribie / pacific harbour new canal fees.

Bribie / pacific harbour new canal fees.

Hey all,

We're on skippers canal on bribie, and got a letter the other day from moreton bay council saying that we are to be charged another $1000 a year for dredging and canal maintainence.

Just wondering if anyone else got the same letter? Thoughts?

Re: Bribie / pacific harbour new canal fees.

Hi
    Glad I don't live on a canal. I would be writing straight back and tell them to bugger off. You pay rates, water and whatever else so don't think it os right you pay that as well. You poor bugger.

Ronnie

Will do Ronnie... In talking to neighbours, they are all a little peeved about it, so i think there will be a large amount of vocal complaining - especially given the canal doesn't seem to need dredging in the first place....

unbelievable. You will find it is because you don't live in Redcliffe!! MBRC are very good at looking after Redcliffe but stuff the rest of the region. The hills district (ferny hills bunya etc) are currently trying to leave MBRC to go to BCC. We get nothing from redcliffe, pay higher rates than BCC and are closer to Brisbane than redcliffe. Would be interesting to find out whether the same fee applies to Scarborough canal front homes? Tell them you will pay when you see them maintain and dredge it.

Quote Originally Posted by Still_Dreamin View Post
    Tell them you will pay when you see them maintain and dredge it.
    if only it needed maintaining and dredging. You got to have a bloody big boat, or ship, to have clearance issues in this canal, and if you can afford such a boat you can pay for the dredging yourself I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Ronnie H View Post
    Hi
    Glad I don't live on a canal. I would be writing straight back and tell them to bugger off. You pay rates, water and whatever else so don't think it os right you pay that as well. You poor bugger.

Ronnie
    I love living on a canal..no idea where skippers canal is..did not even know they had names. Now I have to find which canal I live on.

Hi
    Better watch out pinhead or you will be paying it to. You can ask for donations for the use of the pontoon to offset the dredging of the canal. Might take awhile to raise 1k though. then again use is free- per kilo of fish might be a better way to go.

Seriously this is absurd. Who has ever seen a council doin anything in the canals for starters. Can't even keep our local roads in good repair.

Start a petition and get in touch with the local member. Email and phone the council, do whatever you can think of. Organise a local rally. This is just another way to get ripped off. Don't they get enough out of rates and water -- are they responsible to administer the canals anyway.

Oh and you are in Voyagers canal Pinhead.

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by ubdkdd View Post
    Hey all,

We're on skippers canal on bribie, and got a letter the other day from moreton bay council saying that we are to be charged another $1000 a year for dredging and canal maintainence.

Just wondering if anyone else got the same letter? Thoughts?
    Far Canal !

Last time they dredge the Newport/Scarborough canals were 4-6 years ago.
    It badly requires another dredging there now but no plans as far as I know.

The issue is if the canal is sand/mud based, it erodes very quickly with continuous tide movements
    They are trailing converting the first Newport canal to rocky/gravel base now.
    Once converted, it becomes maintenance free mostly.
    Also gets rid off the midges

The skippers cannal used to regular silt up in the entrance before they shortened the rock groin at it.There is a deepm swimming hole on the southern side of this groin now maybe they need to build a new groin on the northern side to keep the entrance deep and clear.With the amount of houses on this canal i,m pretty sure there would be some surplus out of your $1000 per house to mantain it .More money they can spend in Redcliffe.

Pinhead, Skippers is the main canal running from the passage, up to the bridge to cornetts, and thru to the back estates - well, at least I had been told its called skippers, might be wrong.

But as far as I am aware, any property on a canal on bribie will be up for the new charges.

without throwing a spanner in the works,,, check the letter for authenticity,,,, especially if it gives you a bank account for payment

just saying,,, I could be wrong,,, but?
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Not like the greens would let them get away with dredging it anyway.

I always wondered who owned canals, I suppose that lets me know, obviously the council!

Sorry I had to chuckle ..... a work colleague just in the last month moved into a canal front - & copped this !!!! ....... "Welcome to Bribie Is"

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Could just lock the back gate and tell council you don't care about their canal and won't use it. $1000 is absurd - my rates moved close to $200 this year now so looks like everyone's in for an increase.