Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furuno and lowrance

Furuno and lowrance

Hey all have a furuno 585 and a lowrance hds 7m which iam soon to add structure scan to. Can these two units be linked together and if they can what benifits and what extra functions would i be able to do. Thanks.

Re: Furuno and lowrance

Isn't the HDS 7M a GPS only unit? Therefore the structure scan would be irrelevant.....

Structure scan i have been told can be connected

Excuse my ignorance but what does the structure scan connect to?

It connects into the back of the unit where else would it

I have a HDS-10 and I don't think I can hook the Furuno 585 up to it..
    I wanted to be able to Mark fish on the Furuno and that mark be saved on the HDS (only running as a chart...)
    but all my research has turned up a fat zero.

cheers

I'm still confused as to what the structure scan does on a chartplotter like the 7M.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    I'm still confused as to what the structure scan does on a chartplotter like the 7M.
    Me too - hence my earlier question.

Quote Originally Posted by Angryant View Post
    Me too - hence my earlier question.
    The answer is nothing !
    I have gen2 structure scan and had been running it with 2x hds 5 1 combo & 1 sounder to be honest i was very disappointed with what i could see
    Bit the bullet and added a hds10 combo to outfit Its a different world down there leaving sandgate now i can actually see stingray holes on sea bed floor at 30knts I reckon i could spend some time and slow down and look for flathead in 5m without a doubt.
    The structure is great to identify fish and bait on your sounder around markers and structure, over 20m you have a bait finder nothing more nothing less.
    Having the units networked i can see a lump or bump on one unit being used as sounder scroll back on screen and drop a waypoint under water which is dropped on chart map, I have used this to go back to a bait school that we have motored over at 30knts.
    Until you grab the manual and work out how to drive in manually auto will have you chasing shit that isnt there, I find crossing the bay set sensitivity to 50-55% depth at 15-20m and when you see a bait ball is normally is
    hope this helps
    Dick

You plug the unit into the hds7m And then you have structure scan and down scan on your gps screen

The structure scan works differently to what you assume. The transducer connects to the SS box. The output of the SS box connects to the Lowrance network, ie any hds unit. You can connect up to 3 hds units to this network via the SS box.
    Hope that clears things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    The structure scan works differently to what you assume. The transducer connects to the SS box. The output of the SS box connects to the Lowrance network, ie any hds unit. You can connect up to 3 hds units to this network via the SS box.
    Hope that clears things up.
    Andy the LSS structure actually connects via the Ethernet network not the NMEA network and there is 3 ports as i have 3 hds units networked via the LSS.
    It is cheaper to buy a lss unit than a networking box.

You plug the unit into the hds7m And then you have structure scan and down scan on your gps screen
    Nother one, you need a HDS unit with a transducer to use the map overlay system on a HDS combo good luck hooking it up mate cant imagine how it will work.

If i buy a lowrance lss-2 structure scan kit can i or can i not install it in my boat with the transducer that comes with it then connect it to my hds unit and be able to view it. This is what ive been told

I don't believe you can if it's a 7m.......because it is just a chartplotter.

Quote Originally Posted by nother one View Post
    If i buy a lowrance lss-2 structure scan kit can i or can i not install it in my boat with the transducer that comes with it then connect it to my hds unit and be able to view it. This is what ive been told
    Its up to you mate I suppose the guy selling it to you is the expert and wouldn't tell you something just for the sale !
    Have you thought about asking another dealer ?
    We are only guys on here with our own experiences, comes down to what you want to do really.