Thread: What's your most successful method for catching Spanish Mackerel?

Smile What's your most successful method for catching Spanish Mackerel?

I have found greater success lately trolling gar with a down rigger. What has worked the best for you?

Cheers

John
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Re: What's your most successful method for catching Spanish Mackerel?

The limited success i have had on them was trolling either live or dead baits. Best livies for me have been large slimies and dead baits I like the gar or pike. Also caught them on dead slimies and bonito. Got a killer rig this year but only manged a couple on it.

I have done best on live Pike under a ballon,also live Hussar under a ballon.The one in my avatat was on a Trevally.

Macka

Was that the rig I gave you ?

My preferences in order are

Trolling
    1st = trolled live slimey
    2nd = trolled dead bonito
    3rd = trolled dead gar or pike (almost as good as 2nd)
    4th = trolled live yakka
    5th= lure

But every dog has its day. If the macks are around i'm always confident if i have one of the first three out the back. If at anchor i like one of the first 3 as a floater under a balloon in preference to a pilly.

Scott

My most successful method is Lucky Phill. Caught my PB on his boat, using his rigs.

anything live !!! slimies, tailor, trevally, pike, yakka in northern NSW. Of all of those a live tailor or trevally usually have a very short life span once rigged and put out but because of there size usually result in lower hook up rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Giffo65 View Post
    I have done best on live Pike under a ballon,also live Hussar under a ballon.The one in my avatat was on a Trevally.

Macka

Was that the rig I gave you ?
    Nah giffo some new ones that are like a chinguard but with a vertical lead bib. Gets them down a little bit and imparts a really good swimming action in the gar. Can also speed them up to around 8km/h

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Find a good bait school near the reef and drop a fresh dead bait or two and hang on! Also floating pillies works well. Troll if you don't know exactly where they are.

One word,,,,, ribbonfish, either trolled or floated out at anchor are by far the best bait I have used.

Hey Macca

Sounds like an interesting rig,can you post a pic of it, or is it secret stuff .

The biggest I have ever caught was was under a balloon with piano wire trace 9 o saltwater flyer hook mustad with about 4 pilies on it second biggest same rig a live sweet lip and for lures halco lazer pro 190 crazy deeps and halco giant tremblers

If mack tuna are around, definately live mack tuna 1-3kg. Dead trolled choppers next for me. Ben

Livebait are always best in my opinion, especially slow trolled or anchored up over a bommie or wreck with masses of bait showing.
    Flatzie, see my avatar Odeey boy! hahah

Have attached the wire rig i use, and it can be used on either livies or dead bait.
    Mainly used on a D.R.
    Attached Images Attached Images