Thread: Where are the snaps?

Where are the snaps?

g'day guys.

been hearing of late that everyone has been getting onto a few snapper in the sunny coast area. i have been trying myself but i havn't been to successlful. just wondering what bait does everyone use? i have been trying everywhere but all i get is bearly leagle squire. what should i look for on the sounder? any help would be great.

thanks

Re: Where are the snaps?

PLENTY of snapper out there at the moment,

Best times for the snapper are early morning and Late arvo but you still pull them all day if you are in the right spot, Berley in most places is a VERY big advantage!!

Best bait of late from all reports i have seen has been squid and plastics.

On the Saturday just gone we bagged out in an hour or so and went looking for other species and couldnt get away from the snapper.

Not sure where u fish or how far out your options are depending on your boat. Let us know what you are capable of and may be able to help with some starter marks.

Cheers Lee

cheers Lee. what sort of berley would you recomend?

lol i wish i had a Saturday like you. i couldn't get a thing lol.

i got a 6 metre quinny with a 115hp merc on the back. i have been fishing the Caloundra end of late. brays, 5 mile that sorta area.

cheers

Bigmac,

Maybe look at heading a little wider, the close in shore reefs cop a pounding from the smaller trailer boats, your 6m can definately push a bit wider, even if its just till the 12 mile, Plenty of snaps around there, or go a little wider to caloundra wide or even the barwon banks.

Burley can be as simple or as complicated as you like. Cubed Pillies are by far the simplest, From there you can add chicken pellets, tuna oil, bread ETC ETC. Find what you like and go from there. When we anchor to fish for snaps we try and lay down berley for about an hour before sun up or sun down, Be patient with them, sometimes it happens quickly sometimes it takes longer, sometimes it doesnt happen at all. Find structure and go from there. Obviously when using berley you need to use a Floater to optimise your chances. Fishing the bottom at the same time as having a floater out is my preffered option until the snaps show up then floaters all round.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers Lee

thanks Lee.

i have some marks for 12 mile and cal wide but not the banks. would you have a general mark u might be able to give me? if not all good.

ill have to give burley a go next time. i have herd that a floater is the go. i have never gone down that track though (could prob be my problem lol). do u just use a strip of bait a bit bigger than ya burley on a single hook with no lead? i have mainly just fished the bottom with bait and plastics.

thanks again mate

Bigmac, It would depend on the current as to how much lead you will need. The way I do it is to open the bail arm and keep feeding line out until you get the bite, be prepared to let out a LOT of line. Start with a small ball sinker and a 7/0 circle hook if you cant get down then go up a sinker size until you work out what you need...
    I fish two rods when doing this, one bottom bouncing and the other float lining...

Cheers
    Brett

Thanks Brett. I had a rough idea that's what u had to do

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac87 View Post
    thanks Lee.

i have some marks for 12 mile and cal wide but not the banks. would you have a general mark u might be able to give me? if not all good.

ill have to give burley a go next time. i have herd that a floater is the go. i have never gone down that track though (could prob be my problem lol). do u just use a strip of bait a bit bigger than ya burley on a single hook with no lead? i have mainly just fished the bottom with bait and plastics.

thanks again mate
    Hey mate, if you look through the old m&g thread for the banks you will find some marks in there

Floatlining is the go mate. Takes a bit of getting used to and lead size can vary a lot. Sometimes up to a 10 ball if the current is really ripping and your fishing depth. My last trip was fishing 50m of water and only needed around a 4 -5 ball as weight. As stated be prepared to let a lot of line out at times although sometimes you will find them well up in the water column. I use 2 x 7766 mustad 5/0 ganged and either a whole pilly or strip bait. Dont be scared to use a fair size strip bait and be prepared to throw the bail over (spin reel) or thumb the spool and put it in gear (overhead) as they grab and run pretty quick. Hope this helps.

As Said the Sinker size can very greatly, I usually start off using a 4 ball then adjust from there, Bait wise u can use anything, lately for me its been squid, but pilles and strip bait are always worth a go. I too use 2 x 7766 mustad ganged size 5/0-7/0.

Patience is the key, keep working on it, once you get it right you can keep doing it, It just takes time to get it.

Cheers Lee

thanks again for the tips guys. i will def try the floata next time. i have never understood how it was done but i do get the idea now. i will also have a look at the old M&G and see if i can get some marks.

cheers

I have been using 2 x 5 o or 6 o tru turn hooks with a swivel between them. I like em

Cheers Brett
    Attached Images Attached Images

I prefer snelled octopus pattern hooks. Anything from 5/0s to 10/0s. Whatever I have on hand and depending on the bait. I have been going best on any old slimies and yakkas I have left in my live bait tank from the previous day. Pillies, squid, cut bait etc. is fine too. I have been doing best by dropping to the bottom with light running ball sinker rigs then winding up 5-10m. Haven't been getting too many on the drop just yet. Plastics dropping to the bottom have been getting hit though on light jig heads at anchor. 1/2oz and 5/8oz are getting down fine some days with no current. One day I had a bit of current and we were up to 1oz and 1.5oz at anchor.

It is only a matter of time before good fish come into the 5mile, Rapers, Curramundi and similar areas. I have only got two legal ones in session in those sorts of areas so far on plastics. All my good catches have been coming from Caloundra Wide but I have heard of some good catches from the 12mile, Murphys, the Gneerings and Currimundi as well. Right on dawn and dusk will be your best times. I have mostly been going in the arvos to avoid the morning SWers. As mentioned above, have a bit of patience. I have found them in all sort of moods the last few weeks and had my bag outs after the new moon which is usually my worst week of the month. A couple of tough days we only got them in the dark so hang in that bit longer.

cheers for that Smithy. Some really good info there mate.

when floatlining i use 2 5/0 mustard big gun hooks snelled and a 1 ounce sinker or 4-5ball with a pillie...bottom hook of the snell through the eye and 2nd hook through the shoulder with a half hitch around the tail.seceret is if ya think you have enough line out let out another 100mtrs...thats what i have been telling every1 i have shown this method and they get the hang of it quickly..normally after the 2nd hook up.lol goodluck with it mate
    cheers rosco