Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardon Rod holders

Re: Hardon Rod holders

Quote Originally Posted by deckie View Post
    Jeff...if u can assure us that u dont have a vested interest in these rod holders (plz dont take that the wrong way) its all great advice coz nothing replaces advice from someone actually using them.
    BUT...could you explain the actual advantages you have discovered over both flush mount and tube style rod holders at about 1/3rd the price for quality gear.
    There are just so many fully adjustable holders about, as well as quickly removed ones that it'd be good to hear a practical assessment. Afterall the price difference over just two rod holders is seriously significant and would really need to be justified....it doesnt matter if we're Bill Gates, noone likes that feeling of unnecessary expense.
    i.e. did you find the price difference equates to a definite advantage for you ? They might be "quality" but thats about the only way to market something at 2-3 times the price...needs to be a definite practical advantage rather than just being "innovative". Are they worth it u reckon ?
    Steve.
    Steve, no offence taken i ABSOLUTELY DO NOT have any interest in them or know them. I,m egging on john (i do know him) so he tests them for me/us. I am building a large platey at the moment and despite spending big $$$ will be using standard fair as built by origin. Only someone who has them could really determine if they're worth it so its a big call to put money like that down. A few have seen them at the tinny show this year, i didn't notice them actually. I have ram tubes on my hobie kayak which are a little similar and they're great. No good for bluewater fishing (plastic). Would their similar concept in a heavy duty version on a bay/offshore rig be as useful????? Jury is out for me. I have enough to worry about. I can only assume and hope that the $$$ is an indication of an extreme quality aussie made product that justifies that price point. Sorry john i wont hijack your post anymore.

i am feeling obliged to comment, i am one of those members who enjoys reading but not posting.

Anyway as i have said before i am extreemly happy with these rod holders.In my case I use them mostly when I am floatlining with baitrunner reels. I just flick the lever fully extend the tube and point the tube in the direction of the current so easy. with the tube fully extended it makes it so much easier to grab the rod and flick the baitrunner into gear.(somtimes hard to do in the heat of the moment)

As to a potential patch up job if removing, when i installed mine i diddent have to make the original hole that much bigger and it could be covered by a standard fixed rod holder.

hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettson View Post
    i am feeling obliged to comment, i am one of those members who enjoys reading but not posting.

Anyway as i have said before i am extreemly happy with these rod holders.In my case I use them mostly when I am floatlining with baitrunner reels. I just flick the lever fully extend the tube and point the tube in the direction of the current so easy. with the tube fully extended it makes it so much easier to grab the rod and flick the baitrunner into gear.(somtimes hard to do in the heat of the moment)

As to a potential patch up job if removing, when i installed mine i diddent have to make the original hole that much bigger and it could be covered by a standard fixed rod holder.

hope this helps.
    Yes thanks very much Jettson, your feedback is much apppreciated. I too fish regularly float lining with a baitrunner or two so it is nice to have the rod tip angled appropriately to avoid any tangles. As Deckie pointed out there are obviously other solutions out there to do that which look very good also. I am just a bit of a sucker for inovation and utility and I just haven't seen a rod holder that allows multi angles while still relatively flush with the deck and of course slide it out to give full 360 degree rotation. A limitation however that some of the surface mounted ones have like the Cisco etc is the ability to lay flat if needed and that can be handy also.
    The ball and socket is a proven design, me being an ex drummer, many of my kits used that type of mount with quite a lot of weight and belting them around so it should be good and durable if quality components are used. Some of those fittings were expensive too by the way..

Do you know of any keener pricing on them or can they only be bought from one supplier.

Anyway I appreciate your taking the time to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by johncar View Post
    Yes thanks very much Jettson, your feedback is much apppreciated. I too fish regularly float lining with a baitrunner or two so it is nice to have the rod tip angled appropriately to avoid any tangles. As Deckie pointed out there are obviously other solutions out there to do that which look very good also. I am just a bit of a sucker for inovation and utility and I just haven't seen a rod holder that allows multi angles while still relatively flush with the deck and of course slide it out to give full 360 degree rotation. A limitation however that some of the surface mounted ones have like the Cisco etc is the ability to lay flat if needed and that can be handy also.
    The ball and socket is a proven design, me being an ex drummer, many of my kits used that type of mount with quite a lot of weight and belting them around so it should be good and durable if quality components are used. Some of those fittings were expensive too by the way..

Do you know of any keener pricing on them or can they only be bought from one supplier.

Anyway I appreciate your taking the time to comment.
    Traditionally they have been selling the rod holders themselves but they are currently looking into allowing others to sell their products.
    I had a long discussion with one of the owners last week about selling them but I have not heard back from them yet.
    What they did say about the price is that because it is a new product with a small sales turnover the production costs are very high which is totally understandable for any new product.
    They are hoping to get the price down once their sales pick up and production costs per unit drop.
    I had a good look at these at the T&T show and they do look unreal.
    I will definitely be grabbing a couple for my tinny at some stage because not only being a great flush deck rod holder I think I could also use them a few times a year as a fully adjustable set of outrigger bases.

These are not as pretty but you can remove them when you're not using them and the important thing is they work & they work really well.
    racks.jpg
    About $100 a pair.
    I was going to bend the main tube to flatten out the rods a bit but after trying them first I decided not to.

Sorry but still not convinced there's any advantage to them. Luv the idea of new tech, but still needs to be an actual advantage by comparison to what's already available...especially at the price, which from what aussie says up there sounds like simply paying for their RnD costs plus paying prototype prices before they sort their manufacturing.

Here's how i read it...most boats already have flush mount holders. These are generally positioned for trolling. What most boats dont have is multidirectional STRONG adjustable holders that can drop flat for set baits and handle heavier gear, be it floating baits or bottom bouncing. If a boat already has the trolling side covered with flush mounts i cant see any advantage adding to it with more...when its simply the adjustable element of them required. Brand new glass/plate might be different.

With these retracted u simply have a flush mount yeah ?
    With these in the up position you simply have a tube style yeah ?

the DISadvantage i see by comparison with quality gear already out there is they are neither moveable not removeable. With some of the U.S designed tube style it takes 10 secs and u can move them to anywhere u like...just buy extra deck/rail/flush mounts and two rod holders is effectively 4 or 6. Less "stuff" on board for exactly the same result.

What i'm saying is if you already have flush mounts i see these as a disadvantage compared to some others.

Another alrernative is a scotty striker which can have flush moutns and moved anywhere, fully adjustable, strong as well as easier to get the rod out under load.

Just sayin...not only exie but i still fail to see a true advantage. New tech/design is great to talk about...just throwing it out there. We luv to look at this sort of stuff and looks impreassive but is it actually a disadvantage compared to what is already out there if u already have flush mounts positioned where u want them ?

I use the Scotty Orcas; I have 3 with 6 bases strategically positioned on the side decks. I had to import them as they are not available here anymore, I believe. They lock firmly into a multitude of positions, and have a lockable closure. Easily removed when not required. Never had an issue with them, simple, versatile and very strong. Super quick and easy to release the rod under load.
    Paid about $160 for two from the US delivered. The Hardons look great, but my $ goes for the comparatively fugly Orcas, I love 'em. Just throwin' it out there.
    Coincident to your post, I am about to replace the last 2 tube-style rod holders in the rear corners of my boat. I'll be affixing a piece of plate alloy over the holes and then adding a Scotty mount to each for the Orcas. Two additional features I love, they dont leak water and with the locking device you will never lose a rod and reel 'jumping out' in transit.

Thanks nigelr, I have seen these types around, they look the goods also with the right mounts, just hard to find a seller with all the range of bits. Plastic has some benefits with being used in a Tinnie eliminating any metal to metal clanging and corosion etc. More to check out lol.

Surprised Col never mentioned the ones he is working on with Scotty Nofrills when you were at Origin Boats the other day. Get back onto Col and see what he can do for you.

I am sorry to bring up a very old thread, but I would like to get my hands on at least one more of these rod holders.

I realise that they have gone out of business , but would someone know where I could buy one or more of these?

Thanks, Maxx