Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Illegally Parked Cars in Boat/Trailer Spots - Wellington Point

Re: Illegally Parked Cars in Boat/Trailer Spots - Wellington Point

what about printing stickers that are very hard to remove.
    "The driver of this car is a SELFISH #@#@#
    and STEALS parkingpaces FROM BOATRAMPS"

tuna oil on their window or windscreen perhaps

Milo - sympathise with you bro. Suffer the same issue down there regularly and I live in the shire. From time to time Council officers do issue fines, but only after a regular tirade of complaints. You can record your views with the local Councillor, Wendy Boglary and also lodge a formal complaint with Council - just needs to be a note in writing. Contact is: wendy.boglary@redland.qld.gov.au and also send a copy to the Mayor, Karen Williams mayor@redland.qld.gov.au
    I've filmed it, photographed it - done the whole deal. Only way to get action is to stir the pot with more complaints.

I was fined $70 for parking car and trailer on the grass next to the boat ramp at TE Peters behind the convention centre, there were 3 cars park with no trailers on and there is a car park for non trailer cars only 30 m away.
    I did not block any one or roads.
    Wrote a letter to council, only to get a reply that I parked illegally .

Also thinking to get some nasty stickers.

Hi Superdaff,

Yep done all that.....please see previous post with email back from Wendy. Please also note that she is organising a meeting where you can be added to the list to attend as a representative, so please email her and attend as I have done?

Essentially all I am asking is that a council officer regularly on a nice sunny Saturday or Sunday afternoon about 1:30pm walk around writing parking tickets just as they would for any illegally parked car anywhere else, because once a few get booked they will not do it again. Plus the council will get heaps of money as last Saturday they would have nabbed at least 40 cars.....some cars were even parked one behind the other in the boat/trailer park.

This is actually discrimination in a way because I am sure that if I parked in a disabled car park there would be outrage, so why is this not the same? Boat owners are having to park at the top of the hill and walk back to their boat which is moored back at the ramp in the water because they can not get a boat/trailer park. I had to leave my 11 year old daughter on her own near my boat while I spent 15 minutes getting a park on Saturday afternoon. She was not safe and this is not good enough!!

It is just so frustrating......

Get a few at Bribie too even though the council have put in designated cars only spaces adjacent to the trailer parking, they are most often empty but cars still in trailer parking bays for no good reason is just lazy and inconsiderate in most cases. Yes this is the world we live in...

Some smarty at a smaller local ramp down here printed up some stickers that covered the existing signs completely. Mention of a $300 fine and Vehicle with trailer only. The pleasure lasted about 12 months until they started to peel and a wouser removed them. Wish whoever did it would go again as it bluffed a lot of people.

The bloke that really peeved everyone off was a commuter at another who left his box trailer down at ramp chained to a pole and everyday just reversed back to hitch up for the day and walked to the ferry. Not sure exactly why but he doesn't do it anymore but there was a sign every few days on his windscreen saying that everyone knew what he was doing and lets just say he was never short of fish guts or left over bait, berley in his airvents near the windscreen.

The long walk at the end of the day to get the car and the trailer knowing you are keeping people waiting at the ramp is never a good walk on solo days.

hey milo. reckon wendy was probably happy with my whinge as she already had a reply ready and sent me carbon copy of yours.

also sent a copy to my local member for birkdale and thorneside to which he has replied already too.

my email:

hi paul, just wanted to mention that boaties trying to park a trailer at wellington point reserve on weekends are nearly having fistfights with weekend tourists and visitors who decide to park in trailer bays minus a trailer. it gets so bad sometimes that half or more of the bays are occupied with trailerless cars. some boaties are parking their trailers up the top of the hill because of this. i have parked on median strips there for the same reason. i have spoken to council who advised me that they are not enforcing parking breaches any more. i have spoken to wynnum traffic police who advised me that they are no longer issuing fines either due to conflicts with council. i have also learned that i can park my vehicle behind another illegally parked car and i am not in breach of council by-laws. i can potentially attract a $40 double parking ticket from the police but that would be worth every penny. i often go out for 12 hours or more at a time! i would hate to do this but am certainly prepared to do so. this is a topic currently gathering interest on ausfish fishing forum. boaties are getting cranky at these rude people. if the authorities are doing nothing about it, it will only be a matter of time before more boaties will block in cars who's owners will be getting upset etc etc etc.
    thanks for reading my whinge
    david anderson

paul's reply:

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your email about the Wellington Point boat Launch & Parking issue...
    As a Wynnum/Redlands boy for the majority of my life, I am aware of the eternal dilemma of boaties and visitors and the tension this raises, but was not aware of the recent issues you have raised, and certainly not aware of council/police not sharing a commitment to enforce local/state law. Will try to understand what is going on and why...

I will pass this email on to Wendy Boglary from Division 1 Wellington Point, and also to Mayor Karen Williams, and at the same time send it to my work email paul.bishop@redland.qld.gov.au so it can be registered into the council system as a matter of community concern to be addressed.

Last weekend was spectacular weather, but I can understand how tempestuous things might get if people are parked in...
    And if laws are not enforced...

Thanks for highlighting the issue.

Best wishes,
    Paul Bishop
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

where is this new williams street boat ramp car park the councillor talks about? ......roy

I have seen a couple of good arguments at the Grand Hotel ramp in Southport while having lunch and we don't even eat there much.

Last time the cops came along booking a few for parking in the trailer spots. One lady who got booked was from the table next to us and when she noticed she went over and grabbed the ticket off the car. She was pissed off and didn't even move her car after getting the ticket. When she got back to the table I couldn't help myself and gave her some stick about parking in the trailer spots and stirred the pot just a little more saying that now that the ticket isn't on the windscreen if the cop comes back she'll get another fine. She moved the car then and gave me evils the rest of the time we were there. I just smiled back.

I used to have a parking problem outside my place in Perth. There was a cafe nearby and people used to park on the lawn wrecking the sprinklers all the time. I would just call up the Ranger and out they would come and start writing tickets. The problem is people get a ticket once but it might be on the only time they ever visited the cafe (or the boat ramp in this case) so the message doesn't get out there. In the end I used to chuck council traffic cones I "acquired" from around the neighbourhood out on the front lawn on weekends which stopped most of them but some would actually get out and move the cones.

Good signage for trailer bays is the only way to go preferably with bright yellow painted stripy bays saying trailer parking only. Then it is up to us to "educate" the muppets as soon as we see them doing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by royslaven View Post
    where is this new williams street boat ramp car park the councillor talks about? ......roy
    good question roy. no william or williams st at wello pt according to my new referdex or whereis.com.au. closest to wello on the water would be william st at cleveland. cant see how that is going to relieve pressure at wello tho.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by milo__ View Post
    Hi Superdaff,

This is actually discrimination in a way because I am sure that if I parked in a disabled car park there would be outrage, so why is this not the same? Boat owners are having to park at the top of the hill and walk back to their boat which is moored back at the ramp in the water because they can not get a boat/trailer park. I had to leave my 11 year old daughter on her own near my boat while I spent 15 minutes getting a park on Saturday afternoon. She was not safe and this is not good enough!!

It is just so frustrating......
    Don't be so sure it would be outrage if you parked in a DISABLED park. You would be surprised how many people are just too lazy to walk an extra few metres to a shop. My latest yelling match was in Morayfield-- just ready to pull up and this sheila gets in before me. No sticker so i stuck it to her good and proper. And if you're wondering why I have a disabled sticker-- My mum is on oxygen and has heart failure so she cannot walk far and I take her out.

Went to Bribie for a drive today-- Bongaree Boat ramp must be the new TAXI rank as there were two parked in trailer parks.

Ronnie

Hopefully they will sort it out and have the spaces available only for cars with trailers soon.

Was just thinking though, if several people were to park their trailer behind the cars, wheel clamp them and leave them there for several hours, what would be the problem. The sign says parking for cars and trailers, they park their car, you park your trailer. :-) Council and police would not do anything as you would not be illegally parked. Would the person that parked their car want to ring the police and say that they have broken the law and someone has blocked them in?

Hopefully it would not need to get to this and the council will enforce and/or fine to fix it.

I used to live on Sunny Coast, the council used to be very diligent in booking people parked in car and trailer spaces.
    I have a canoe on a roofrack and had to find a carpark somewhere.
    Worst one I heard was a guy at Mooloolaba, La balsa ramp, had to find a park, and when he got to his boat his gear was missing, over a $1,000 worth.............
    He asked some people who were standing around and fishing, and they said yer we saw your "friend" doing something with your boat...................

The council should be on the ball.................................
    It's their JOB........
    They work on weekends, it wouldn't take too much time to enforce the law....
    All the kayakers too........

randell
    Last edited by randell; 02-07-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: make it clearer

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    i'm thinking a meet and greet at wello boat ramp one nice saturday arvo. wait till say 1.30 when its chockers and start double parking. find a nice shady place and have a few brews... what? move my car? i've been drinking. cant drive for another couple of hours. sorry, you'll have to wait.
    Make sure you have TOL with you mate. He'll sort a few out...... He's a well know car park terrorist.