Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fraser, Family and Fun. June 2012 report.

Fraser, Family and Fun. June 2012 report.

Mate of mine bought a camper trailer a while ago and has been setting it up in bushland places within an hour or so of Brisbane and thought he was doing OK. One evening while entertaining some libation of the Green Ginger Wine variety, I brought up the subject of Fraser Island camping.

I have been there many times camping and in a house, with and without a boat, including the Toyota Fishing Expo. The challenge was set and dates decided, the week before June school holidays. Reasons being, less people and better weather conditions.

The ladies in our group were not convinced that winter camping could be fun, let alone not cold. So with the crew organised ( Paul, Liz, Mitchell, Phill, Tjara, Steve and Nicole … family and friends ) we had a meeting and made some lists. I am a list person and it really does pay to put pen to paper when undertaking an 8 day, fairly remote and self-sufficient adventure.

The 6 months passed quickly and time was upon us. The week before was terrible weather for June, but with all the rain, the sand on Fraser would be steady underfoot. Our departure was not early as the tides will dictate our driving times and hitting Rainbow Beach at 10am was perfect. Ice, fresh bread, fuel and the obligatory pie was in the schedule and with all tyres at 18psi ( 4 x 4 and trailers ) a tentative roll onto the barge was completed.

My job, as almost a local, was tour guide and that sat well with me. A steady drive to Indian Head and an incident free crossing there and Middle Rocks just left the inland track to Orchid Beach . Down onto the hard sand and up to Ocean Lake camping area with our spot at least 2 k's from the nearest neighbour, in fact only 2 other camps were between us and Orchid Beach shop, with us being the northern most camp-site.

Tents erected, tarps set, bedding organised, camper-trailer spread-eagled under the massive 30 x 30 tarp, all lite up with LED's and the gas patio heater assembled ( for the girls ). Time for a coldie and survey our ocean views from atop our very own dune. The phrase “ does it get any better than this ? “ was tossed around all week and with good reason. Our evening meal chef, Paul, whipped up some great burgers that filled the empty spaces and prepared the insides for a night of Beer, Cider, Vodka and Malibu.

Our activity schedule went something like, tour one day, rest the next. A lighthouse trip, Lake McKenzie / Central Station, Indian Head whale watching etc and on our rest days, we played cards, visited the Driftwood Bar at the Orchid Beach shop ( in fact I think we managed to pay that place a visit just about everyday ), wet a line at Waddy Beach and Rocks, kite flying, soccer and even had a power nap one day after a very long night........ oh yeah, that was Pirate Party night...mmmm !

With two birthdays falling within our weeks stay, the next challenge was to cook a cake in the camp oven. To everyones surprize, including the chefs ( Paul ), it turned out perfect. Other highlights in the culinary calendar were Roast Pork and vegies, Thai Seafood Curry with rice, Stew A-la-Paulie, Spaghetti Bolognasie , Pizzas with numerous varieties of breakfasts, like French Toast, Pancakes and Bacon & Eggs on offer. We only had eskies for food and drinks as the shop was 10 minutes away and supplies could be gleaned from there when required. We also made good use of our Cryovac machine.

The Waddy Point top camp grounds provided the girls with that much appreciated hot shower and for $1 for 5 minutes was great value, although we did have an ensuite set up at camp for toilet and showers. Must say, the boys appreciated the showers just as much, particularly after a mornings fishing.

The beaches there had been affected quite severally from the previous weeks hard blow and Waddy Beach stretched over 250 mtrs wide and the gutter was almost non-existent, but several boats made the effort for reasonable rewards offshore. A lot of sand was deposited on the northern end of the island from Nagala Rocks to the Cape, but erosion has taken its toll around Nagala and Browns, Yidney and Poyangan areas. We were taken aback at the 17ft cat ( Hull ) sitting upright on Browns Rocks with many pieces of debris surrounding it. This vessel had “ an issue “ at Waddy Point break / gutter the week before, according to the Ranger.

Our day at the Cape was an awe-inspiring event with the first timers gobsmacked at the beauty of the water and scenery in this part of Fraser. Sitting under a Sheoak in shorts and T-Shirt was not what a winter camping trip was supposed to be about, according to the girls and to add to the occasion, everyone caught some Dart, Whiting and Gar. We were the only ones at the Cape this day making it a special memory.

Our other trip to Indian Head was indeed a highlight with us spending a couple of hours just sitting and staring out to sea and down onto Middle Beach, watching the tide change the landscape of the foreshore. The Lake McKenzie / Central Station day trip was another stand-out and I am still fascinated by the tall Palms, huge Cycads , massive Staghorns and Giant Trees of many varieties, a truly ancient forest that time has forgotten and for me, a privilege to observe.

There are a few things we could have done differently, but then again, we nailed the weather, cooking, driving and fishing and everyone expressed their desire to return soon and experience this wonderland further. We didn't even get to have a peek at the western beaches, we'll leave that for next time. For those that want to know, we both had late model Colorado dual cabs, both diesel with one manual, one auto and no issues with sand driving, towing or clearance.

There were over 900 pics taken , so I'll select a few.

Campsite / setup.

Campsite from another angle

Fishing at the Cape.

A nice Gar.,

Dart are great sport on 6lb mono.

An issue at Browns Rocks.

Eurong bakery Pie Stop...

uummm Pirates on Fraser ???

more Pirates...

French Toast and Banana with " REAL " Maple Syrup, breakfast.

Does she look Nervous ???

The Driftwood Bar, Orchid Beach.... Beer... Cold !! yummm

cheers LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 01-07-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Fraser, Family and Fun. June 2012 report.

Roast Pork and vegies.

Rolled tyre at Indian Head. my bad !

thedeckie and Jnr deckie

camp oven pizza

for the roasting....

LP

Phil ,,oh my gosh,, just great mate ,,you had bloody great weather ,the photos say it all,, love it,,, Cheers bill

My rig

thedeckies rig

getting the girls to drive...

even baked a birthday cake in the camp oven

Champagne Pools panorama.

before or after ??????????

waking up to this every day.

LP

you can clearly see the dirty water line from the previous weeks pounding. It did clear up after a few days/.

LP

I had the gutter all to myself.

Shells and sunshine

main area at night... go the LED's.

One of many creeks...

It's black and cold.... I didn;t drink it...

tyre about to be fixed.

tall timber from Central Station.

chillin' under the Sheoaks...

Me , in a huddle with all my friends...

Picture of the sky we had for 8 days............

LP

Don't even start with me about Fraser island

OH, did I mention I ran into Brett ( bugman ) on the return trip at Yidney Rocks. Brett and has gang has just arrived on the island...with boats in tow,

I'll check out " offshore reports " will I ???????????

Also ran into another AF member ( at the bar and waddy ) grave41 Graeme who was also there with boats.

Waiting for reports ???????????????????

LP

While I was slaving away as a steering wheel attendant!!! some people.
    Good to see you had a great time plus excellent weather guys.
    cheers R
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Ha ha, how's that - plus 1 white Colorado on the island, we were there over the same week, "roughing" it in a cottage. Probably the best weather I've ever struck for a holiday and an absolute pleasure being so quiet. We had Lake Birrabeen all to ourselves and there was one load of fairly decorative and well behaved backpackers at Mackenzie! Plenty dingos, including some fairly obliging souls who posed next to the whale just south of Eli.
    mud2.jpgdingo11.jpgdingo14.jpg

Jealous........Must get there sooner rather then later.

Mark

Great pics, Phil. Two questions:

1. Was the dirty water more sand/silt stirred up rather than fresh? Been a while since I've seen it so definite there.

2. Great to see you use a washing machine drum as a fire pit. Did you need to modify it in any way, or just throw the wood in as is?

Thanks heaps.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by roz View Post
    While I was slaving away as a steering wheel attendant!!! some people.
    Good to see you had a great time plus excellent weather guys.
    cheers R
    Yes, Roz, someone has to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
    Ha ha, how's that - plus 1 white Colorado on the island, we were there over the same week, "roughing" it in a cottage. Probably the best weather I've ever struck for a holiday and an absolute pleasure being so quiet. We had Lake Birrabeen all to ourselves and there was one load of fairly decorative and well behaved backpackers at Mackenzie! Plenty dingos, including some fairly obliging souls who posed next to the whale just south of Eli.
    mud2.jpgdingo11.jpgdingo14.jpg
    Yes, we only saw 2 dinoges all trip, both to the south. We also stopped and photographed 2 deceased whales, there was another smaller one further north than the one near Eli.

Quote Originally Posted by trymyluck View Post
    Jealous........Must get there sooner rather then later.

Mark
    Well Mark, it's not that far from you and the weather should be great for the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzamundi View Post
    Great pics, Phil. Two questions:

1. Was the dirty water more sand/silt stirred up rather than fresh? Been a while since I've seen it so definite there.

2. Great to see you use a washing machine drum as a fire pit. Did you need to modify it in any way, or just throw the wood in as is?

Thanks heaps.

Cuzza
    I'd say the dirty water was from stirred up sand as it cleared fairly quickly and no weed, but fresh water was a contributor.

The washing machine drum ( actually a dryer drum ) was used as is. There was a lid on it for a majority of the time, but apparently I took a snooze and the lid came off for a " memory photo ".

LP

Mate top read and pics.
    Makes me want to organize another trip up there.
    Totally agree on how great it is to be there NOT on a holiday period, the place feels much more relaxing when you don't see another vehicle all day..

Cheers
    Brett

Some pretty good photos in amongst that lot Phil. Glad the weather was on your side.