Thread: Mud island first trip

Mud island first trip

Hey I want to head out to mud for the first time I have a 4.3 m tinnie with a 40hp merc 2 stroke want to leave from the whyte island boat ramp. Just wondering what's the best way to head out there been looking at beacon to beacon is it best to head out the mouth of the Brisbane river or head right from the ramp through the boat passage

Re: Mud island first trip

Hi Matty,

Yes - you can launch fr Whyte and head through boat passage by carefully following the beacons that will lead you out into Moreton Bay. Do be cautious as it can get very shallow. Your boat should draw minimal draft, but ensure that you follow each beacon particularly at low tide. For me id rather go via the river - its not that much further. i usually wet a line on the way there as there are plenty of fish on the way. The boat should be ok on a good day, although keep in mind the bay can change pretty quickly and coming home is when most people get caught out.

All the best mate - and let us know how you go.

Cheers - Jerry
    "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"

Thanks for the info jerry prob will go through the river mouth do I just follow the small craft course in the pic to the waypoint then follow it right I take it it's best to stick to the line to be safe ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341138102.340331.jpg

through the river is the way to go, reccomend you stay tight to one side of the other and you can even catch a lee most of the way out.
    the other route see you crossing a sand bar (or going all the way out towards wynnum and cutting back by st helena) and at low tide its exposed so it doesn't matter how shallow you draw.

Go out through the river mouth and then shoot over to mud. I often go out the channel until I am past the end of the port then go after the next red beacon. you'll be fine if you do it that way. Plenty of water underneath..... I would avoid going out from whyte island the other way.

Go out through the river, pass the rock wall and head towards Mossy's reef - Most likely there will be somone fishing there

thanks for the info guys is this what yous are saying to do what I've drawn in the pic cheers

Attachment 81969