Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sea sickness

Re: Sea sickness

I dont use anything as a rule but on a cruise to Antarctica in a fairly rolley boat (up to 5m seas and 60 knots wind) we took half a Fenergan(antihistamine) the night before big sea days, worked a treat, slept well an didnt get sick when many using other preventions did(wife got the info on using these from a GP, different size dose tablets available, we were taking half of the larger dose)

Doesn't fenergan knock you out? People use it on kids when going on a flight makes them sleep through it..

kwells work for me on foul days, but you must take em 10 to 20 minutes before you get into the rough water.
    once you get into the rough, they aren't as effective.
    I spent 2 months on a yacht, and we had no pills to take. I found i was usually a bit sick for the first day or 2 at sea. but keeping busy and looking around at the horizon was ok. After a few days I only got crook if i was chopping vegies for dinner, or trying to do something close at hand, staring to long at the compass whilst steering.

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    Kwells knocks me for a 6 but trying out avomine this weekend in conjunction with a bandaid over the belly button meant to fully cover it. People swear by it. Can't hurt to try I say.
    The band aid is that for innies only or does this also work for outies? I'm an innie but wasn't sure about the outties? Kwells do make you a little drowsy and abit funny. Hence why kids would take a sheet of them for sh!ts and giggles.

fish in the river. Or kwells and xxxx gold.

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    i only get sea sick once stopped actualy driving through sloppy water desn't bother me. Does avomine give you the same drowsyness? taking 1 friday night and 1 saturday morning....
    I have not found the drowzyness from avomine to much, (when considering you have 3-5hrs sleep the night before )
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

A mate likes Mars Bars but quite a few find Nexium very helpful. It is a prescription drug for heartburn/acid reflux. Sort of puts a coating on the old guts. Fear is also very good. Go faster? lol.

I am a lucky one, never been seasick. However, when I did the trip on the endeavor recently, there were about half a dozen people who got seasick. About the 3rd day in, had a crew meeting on deck, captains says "you will get over it, I promise. We have a secret trick to help". After the meeting, he pulls out a big bucket of chupa-chups and hands them too all those who are sick. I couldn't believe it, the next day not one single person with sea sickness on board. Even when we got the force 10 gale, a few got queasy, but no one was sick. We were not on a day trip, at sea for a couple of weeks, so may not be useful here. Might be worth a try though.

Just for the record, as a precaution, I took some seasick tables based on the recommendation for sailing in the southern ocean. I took 3 different types, just in case. I ended up offering the pills to the people who were sick, just so they could try something different. None of the pills worked on anyone who took them.

Packet of Shapes or other dry biscuits. I don't get seasick personally but often feel a bit queasy when I've got my head down rigging lines etc & biscuits work a treat.

Thanks for the advice the remedy is for my daughter tried everything suggested except bandaid my son used to get sick administered kwells for a few trips now needs nothing that was 4 years ago used to come back after he had been sick as say dad when r we goin again I would say but u were sick today he said I just need to harden up dad now he is nine and goin to do his first pro hours on his grandads boat at Christmas got to love the ocean most peaceful place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by philip_thomson View Post
    those who know me would be well aware that i have had more than more fair share of seasickness (my first 50 offshore trips i got sick)

this is what i have found to beat it.

I use avomine seasickness tablets - i have found that these do not give you a dry mouth and still allow you to eat and drink 1 the night before 1 in the morning.
    Keep your stomach full and keep eating - i have a normal dinner the night before and breakfast in the morning. Then i will go through a whole pizza on the boat
    then at the slightest sign of any discomfort in your stomach throw something down your mouth. This has to be done before you start feeling sick.
    I will have a bag of lollies in my pocket (shapes work well also) and just keep nibbling on them all day.
    If you are trolling try driving the boat.

Above all - so much of it is in the mind - i would talk myself into getting seasick.

It is beatable - if you go through some of my old posts (04-05) you will see i used to get sick each time. Now i take the tablets as a precaution

good luck with it
    phil t
    exactly everything you read above !!!!