Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experimental Mud crab baits

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Experimental Mud crab baits

Cheers Rossco..... The reef frames were not in the water, they were on the grass but not rotten.... But ur right, I do need to compare them again and I will next season in The Maroochy river ....

Fallen Angel.... Only crab pots I have ever lost have been my fault...not enuff weight in big running tides...I reckon bloody myth that they get pinched!!!!!!!....checked perhaps, pinched rubbish!

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

1/2 Catfish (don't waste them when you catch them...pop them in the freezer for the next crabbing trip) works for us.

Hi Gruntahunta

I have yet to loose any as well just have not been prepared to leave them overnight.

Chas & Clarry, couldn't agree with you more the old catfish works well too.

Reading through what everyone has to say about this I think i may have developed a plan. My thoughts were to mince up all the old bait and fish frames from my freezer - mostly pillies, a few mullet and some dart - and freeze them into indervidual crab pot size 'bait balls'. Maybe wrapped in some chicken wire and zip tied into the pots. My only worry is that it will thore out too quick and my pots will be left without bait?? Worth a go though???

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah Zac...that'll work fine... just use small mesh or buy some "gutter Guard" from the hardware...really cheap and good for pillies etc.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

or put mince in old tights

Mincing around in old tights...hardly appropriate

I was thinking, where did he acquire the tights from?
    Good things come to those who bait

If you are looking for something to put them in, place them in some PVC tubes capped and holes drilled in them

Depends where you are to a degree. Fresh catfish or fish frames are the best but if crocs are around they will smash your pots. Try tins of catfood if crocs giving you grief. Not as good but crocs will leave them alone.