Thread: North Stradbroke 2nd July beach camping options?

North Stradbroke 2nd July beach camping options?

If the weather is good I am looking at heading over to Stradbroke with the kids next week. I have not been there before and would like some info on the beach camping. I have done the beach camping alot over the years but with the current setup (current Hilux duel cab with Jayco swan approx 1.6t loaded) I need to be realistic on where I can get the thing as the standard sr hilux (lowlux) is pretty ordinary when it comes to sand driving due to their lack of clearance (work truck so no mods possible). Not into caravan parks so the beach is the only desired option.

For anyone in the know,

1. Is the island fairly quiet typically during the winter holidays or still very popular?
    2. What fishing is generally on offer from the beaches? Whiting, flathead, taylor etc
    3. What is the access like to the beach camp spots for a "Lowlux" with heavy camper.
    4. Is it worth putting the 3mt punt on the roof to putter around the inside of the island for fishing?

Thanks in advance.
    Eat well, drink in moderation, exercise often and yet you still die anyway!

Re: North Stradbroke 2nd July beach camping options?

I think you'll *probably* be ok down Main beach. There are a handful of exits (off beach to camp sites) which are doable provided you hit them at low tide and can therefore get a good runup and heaps of momentum. There should be plenty of space down there. I can't say for sure about Flinders - it will obviously be busier but not sure how busy. At least with that many people around there would be someone to help you.

I took my camper trailer to straddie a couple of months ago without any real problems but it is only about 1.1t and I have a turbo-diesel 100 series. It did take me a couple of goes to get up the exists - but easy to back down and try again with more right boot.

I was fishing there on Sunday and we struggled to find fish but eventually found some tailor. Apparently (reading another report on here) they were biting down near the pin - I wish I had gone down that far!

Thanks Chisel. The main drama the Lux has is acting like a turtle when it skids along its belly in the wheel ruts taking the traction from the tyres so soft wheel ruts of any length will be a problem which look like might be the case on Google earth. As a comparrison, if I was to go to Fraser with it I would be fairly confidant I could access the beach camps between Happy valley and Indian Head but dont know if I would get it to Orchid. I do have a bit of gear for recovery such as winch (although I assume a winch point is hard to find) air compressor, air jack, snach etc but dont want to set myself up for failure resulting in having to inconveniance a passer by for help (and look like a fool )

Maybe the centerpole tents need to come out for a recon trip this time with the thought of returning in September with the camper and wife (the camper was bought to encourage the wife along more so maybe Ive gotten soft needing it these days when it's just us boys)
    Eat well, drink in moderation, exercise often and yet you still die anyway!

I'd stick to Flinders Beach for the camping and then explore Main Beach on the right tide. Camping spots at Flinders are nice and sheltered and there are toilets available. You're also only a very short drive from shops and hot showers at Adder Rock camp ground.

Quote Originally Posted by whykickacatalong View Post
    Thanks Chisel. The main drama the Lux has is acting like a turtle when it skids along its belly in the wheel ruts taking the traction from the tyres so soft wheel ruts of any length will be a problem which look like might be the case on Google earth.
    Once you are off the beach (Main beach) there aren't really that many soft spots. There are a handful of small hills that you might need to be wary of (easy in one direction, not so easy in the other with trailer). Depends what exit you use and how far from the exit you can camp.
    You can always take the trailer off and leave it on the beach - run up behind the dunes for a reccy then when you are happy with the track in (and back out) then go get the trailer/van.