Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: weber kettle

Re: weber kettle

Quote Originally Posted by troy View Post
    Pinhead nothing like a challenge maybe you and i could be entered into the funniest home bbq shows.
    Troy
    I doubt you could see anything with me hidden in a huge cloud of smoke.

Wait to you see my post when i have a crack at it and with zilch experiance the mind boggles.
    Troy

Hey Troy, are you at the Cape by any chance? I saw a nice looking Sea Jay and thought it could have been you.

Quote Originally Posted by upstart View Post
    Hey Troy, are you at the Cape by any chance? I saw a nice looking Sea Jay and thought it could have been you.
    No Upstart, not yet but will be shortly.
    Troy

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    sorry Noel..but weber + ribs = yuck for me.

I had not trouble cooking on the thing (cooking may be a bit of an incorrect word, cremation would be more applicable) but the messing around getting it lit and hot etc. Takes way too long.
    well... it looks like next time you are down my way I will have to convert you to my weber ribs, so, the offer is there.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I doubt you could see anything with me hidden in a huge cloud of smoke.

It is not the smoke that will get you but the nicotine will.

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    It is not the smoke that will get you but the nicotine will.

I meant from the weber..sheesh..some people.

Lump charcoal is the go for them. Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    lucky I found this post, I am the Weber king!!!!! (well I reckon I am) I have two kettle BBQ's one genuine Weber, and one found on the side of the road Kmart one, now I have no idea why, but the genuine one leaves the shit Kmart one for dead when it comes to cooking, so make sure you buy the "proper" one. Now for what to do, first off, as mentioned, only buy the quality heat beads, the cheap ones are crap, the number of beads will determine the heat available, not how long it will burn for, and trust me, they will stay hot for hours, so time is not a problem. The genuine Weber will have two basket sort of things that you put the heat beads in, for indirect cooking, I put around 25 heat beads in each basket, and when they are well lit (that is, they turn white) you pull the baskets to either side and put an aluminium tray between them, the meat is then place over the tray and the lid is put back on (and dont keep checking it) what happens is, the tray protects the meat from the direct heat, and the main heat is from around the side and up over the top of the meat, so it cooks from the top, and makes the worlds best crackling! a rolled Pork roast, or leg of lamb will no take very long to cook. Now for direct cooking, the heat beads can be either stil put in the baskets, or just spread over the bottom rack and the meat is placed over them, this is more or less like cooking a conventional BBQ, you need to check the meat now and then to make sure it does not burn. My best and most asked for Weber meal is marinated ribs, here my "secret" method to follow in the next post.
    Noel, not sure with regards to the tray.
    If the tray is placed between the beads does the pork go into the tray or on the Bbq grate.
    Troy

yep, top wire rack comes out, heat beads are moved to each side, and an aluminium tray is placed between them, top wire rack back in and the meat is placed directly over the tray, what this does is... the tray collects all the fatty drips, and the heat goes up the sides, around the lid and cooks from the top. Another often missed tip is, make sure you have the heat beads and meat loaded on each side with the carry handle in front of you, when you fit the lid, make sure the vent is facing the handle, this allows proper air flow to ensure consistant cooking results. Of course, this si only if using the indirect method, if you are cooking directly over the coals, it makes no difference where the lid is, and no trays required.

Been awhile but i now have my weber kettle and will experiment with a couple of lamb shanks on sunday before i try any expensive cuts.
    A divorse is on the cards.
    Troy

Look forward to hearing how you get on with it.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Not to good as i am doing something wrong and not real sure if i am using enough heat beads.
    In the book that came with my kettle it says 32 beads on each side and being in an isolated place where i cannot buy more i am buggered as i will run out very fast.
    Can you use another type of heat like drift wood or other dead tree brances.
    Not being a tight axse but i am at my beach place and no shops and i came over with 32 kgs of heat beads and will run out real quick if i follow the book.
    Troy

Maybe if there are a few old bits of hardwood around you could use them for some coals.
    Lol, all the driftwood I was burning off my beach the other week made a heap of smoke!!
    Btw Troy, which bay are you in?

I am sure yo could use wood in a Weber, but it will not burn for hours like the heat beads do, you can "save" the heat beads by closing all the vents when you are finished, but I dont bother, I just let them burn to ash and brush them out, to save money, you can also buy a big bag of cheap heat beads and use a 50/50 mix of quality and cheap ones, I have done that before. Also a place that does proper Charcoal Chickens might sell you a big bag of beads cheap, my local guy does.