Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shimano Symetre ... Anyone Rate Them

Shimano Symetre ... Anyone Rate Them

Going to get a 2-4kg Pflueger trion rod for estuary and bay sp fishing. I don't do that much estuary or bay fishing these days so im not wanting to spend a fortune on a reel. How good are the Symetre FJ reels, noticed they retail for about $150.

cheers tim

Re: Shimano Symetre ... Anyone Rate Them

We think they are great!

I have a 1000 matched with 4lb braid on a 1-3kg Pfluger Trion and LOVE IT, it has handled flatties to mid 60cm mark.

We also have 1500s matched with 6 and 8 lb braid on our 2-4 and 3-5 rods respectively. They have handled flattys to 74cm and jew to 68cm no worries.

All of the above on plastics. We rate them

Tim and Trace

Thanks for the reply, how do you think they will handle bay Snap's to 80-85cm as i will probably target big Snap's quite often. Was thinking a 3000 size spooled with 10lb braid on a 2-4kg trion.

cheers tim

LOL that is outside our league, however we are keen to give it a go one day soon after reading all of the reports on here about snapper lately!

Having said that , I'd go a 3-5 kg rod of 10lb braid...??

Noticed Pflueger do a 3-6kg trion but i think thats a bit to heavy for throwing small jigheads around the bay. I might buy a 3-6kg trion in the near future for light offshore soft plastic work though.

cheers tim

I have several Symetres and cant fault them for the price.
    They are a kilo down in drag pressure from the stradics but when fishing light string you will not be looking to max the drag out.
    My best snapp on my symetre 3000 is 82cm and it was no probs at all.
    Jack.

Hey Tim, not sure if you have checked out mo tackle but they have the symetre 3000fj and 4000 fj for $119. I have bought heaps of stuff from these guys, good service, great advice and fast delivery. They will also beat any advertised price. Happy shopping mate.

Cheers Mick.

yeah i love mine, i have a 3000, best fish to date is a 117cm jew from the pin, handled it so well im going to get a few more, very impressed.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

I've got 6 of them of various ages. The 4000 size i use for pretty much everything. It'll take just under a full 300yd spool of 14lb fireline. I use it at Deep Tempest to bomb plastics on 14lb fireline and have stopped up to 40lb samson fish (avatar) on it in 85m. Have also stopped 10kg longtails, 120cm Mahi Mahi, 35lb Spanish mackerel and countless snapper on them. I also use them bait fishing in shallow water.

The 2500 size i use to soft plastic in the shallows with. These are spooled with a full 300yd spool of 6lb fireline. Again i've stopped countless snapper and sweeties on it. The biggest fish i've stopped so far would be a 8kg mack tuna. I've also caught jellybean yellowfin on it. I hooked and lost a cobia of unknown size as part of a double hook up in a kayak at south west rocks in feb which took a yellowtail on a bait jig. I played it for 15-20 min before the bait jig knots parted. I landed the second fish, a 20kg cobe, on heavy gear. I can only assume that they were of similar size. The anti reverse bearing was stuffed after this fight though. It cost me less than $30 to replace it though and the reel is good as new.

I give them a fair bit of abuse and they stand up to most things I’ve thrown at them. I buy them from the States off fleabay for around $90-$95 delivered depending on the day/dollar at the time. I am in the process of putting carbontex drags in and lapping the drag washers to try and make them even better. A sheet of carbontex from the downrigger shop . com costs $20 and I’ve changed the drags on 7 reels so far and I reckon I’ll be able to get at least another 3-4 reels worth of washers out of it. Worth the time and expense if you ask me.

For the price, I think they are hard to go past. They are not a stradic, a ci4 or a stella, but they are a reasonably priced reel that’ll take a fair beating.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Mate I've got a couple of Stellas and a Saltiga in the bigger sizes. Bought a little 1000 Symetre the other day and it's awesome.

Really doesn't feel an awful lot worse than a stella (to me anyway). How long it will last I don't know but it feels pretty solid.

Even managed a couple of Barra on its first trip out. Nice smooth drag, was great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I have several Symetres and cant fault them for the price.
    They are a kilo down in drag pressure from the stradics but when fishing light string you will not be looking to max the drag out.
    My best snapp on my symetre 3000 is 82cm and it was no probs at all.

Thanks mate, good to hear they can handle decent Snap's

Quote Originally Posted by wave dancer View Post
    Hey Tim, not sure if you have checked out mo tackle but they have the symetre 3000fj and 4000 fj for $119. I have bought heaps of stuff from these guys, good service, great advice and fast delivery. They will also beat any advertised price. Happy shopping mate.

Cheers Mick.

Thanks for the heads up Mick, i have bought a few things from MO and agree that there service is great

Quote Originally Posted by bennykenny View Post
    yeah i love mine, i have a 3000, best fish to date is a 117cm jew from the pin, handled it so well im going to get a few more, very impressed.

Good size jewie, what rod are braid strength are you using with your 3000 symetre ???

Quote Originally Posted by nezevic99 View Post
    I've got 6 of them of various ages. The 4000 size i use for pretty much everything. It'll take just under a full 300yd spool of 14lb fireline. I use it at Deep Tempest to bomb plastics on 14lb fireline and have stopped up to 40lb samson fish (avatar) on it in 85m. Have also stopped 10kg longtails, 120cm Mahi Mahi, 35lb Spanish mackerel and countless snapper on them. I also use them bait fishing in shallow water.

The 2500 size i use to soft plastic in the shallows with. These are spooled with a full 300yd spool of 6lb fireline. Again i've stopped countless snapper and sweeties on it. The biggest fish i've stopped so far would be a 8kg mack tuna. I've also caught jellybean yellowfin on it. I hooked and lost a cobia of unknown size as part of a double hook up in a kayak at south west rocks in feb which took a yellowtail on a bait jig. I played it for 15-20 min before the bait jig knots parted. I landed the second fish, a 20kg cobe, on heavy gear. I can only assume that they were of similar size. The anti reverse bearing was stuffed after this fight though. It cost me less than $30 to replace it though and the reel is good as new.

I give them a fair bit of abuse and they stand up to most things I’ve thrown at them. I buy them from the States off fleabay for around $90-$95 delivered depending on the day/dollar at the time. I am in the process of putting carbontex drags in and lapping the drag washers to try and make them even better. A sheet of carbontex from the downrigger shop . com costs $20 and I’ve changed the drags on 7 reels so far and I reckon I’ll be able to get at least another 3-4 reels worth of washers out of it. Worth the time and expense if you ask me.

For the price, I think they are hard to go past. They are not a stradic, a ci4 or a stella, but they are a reasonably priced reel that’ll take a fair beating.

Mate sounds like you give them hell and they stand up to the punishment alright, think im pretty much sold on a couple of them after your post

Quote Originally Posted by scuttlebutt View Post
    Mate I've got a couple of Stellas and a Saltiga in the bigger sizes. Bought a little 1000 Symetre the other day and it's awesome.

Really doesn't feel an awful lot worse than a stella (to me anyway). How long it will last I don't know but it feels pretty solid.

Even managed a couple of Barra on its first trip out. Nice smooth drag, was great fun.

Yeah im the same i have a 4500 Saltiga s extreme on a 8-15kg Egrell bear essentials rod (deep water sp combo) and a 3000 Caldia fitted to my xzoga micro jigging rod. Both of these combo's are great to use. I mostly fish micro jigs these days so thats why im after a couple of cheaper half decent sp combo's instead of spending $500-$1000 for each combo like i usually do.

cheers tim

Quote Originally Posted by TIM D View Post

Good size jewie, what rod are braid strength are you using with your 3000 symetre ???

cheers tim
    Hey Tim, im using it on a 4-6kg Soron STX rod with 10lbs Braid, and its balanced very well.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

How big are 3000 sized Shimano reels compared to 2500 size Daiwa reels ???

I find 2500 sized daiwa reels balance well on most 2-4kg rods.

cheers tim

Don't be a cheap ass, just buy a daiwa sol or terria.

My symetre lives at home

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    Don't be a cheap ass, just buy a daiwa sol or terria.

My symetre lives at home

Nar the repayments on my new Lamborghini are draining most of my pay

Your symetre lives at home because you own about 100 combo's and cant fit them all on your boat..

cheers tim