Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shimano Symetre ... Anyone Rate Them

Re: Shimano Symetre ... Anyone Rate Them

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    Don't be a cheap ass, just buy a daiwa sol or terria.

My symetre lives at home
    Depends what you're chasing... For inshore work on 10-15lbs the Sol is better, but for standard estuary species (bream, flatties) on 4-6lbs, the symetre 1000/1500 is just about perfect.

Don't get the cheap price fool you, it just keeps on keeping on! (maybe change the bail arm spring every couple of years, and a spray of inox/lanolin every now and then).

Mate i got a 2500 symetre, good first reel but definitely recommend stradic fj's

I've got the 1500 & 2500 and love them, 2500 has caught everything from 89cm Barra, 1m+ Threadies, spangled emperor and as of yesterday an 86cm snapper. 7 years old and still going strong. Will out live my Sol for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowjack View Post
    Mate i got a 2500 symetre, good first reel but definitely recommend stradic fj's

Probably wouldnt get a stradic, if i was going to spend more then i would probably just get a new model caldia which i can get for $230

cheers tim

i use a 4000 on my deadstick plastic offshore and have caught a few on it ..it did the job well....should be a good reel for u tim...u will never wear the bugger out with the huge amounts of fish u get.lol

You'll eat your words rosco when i start catching some big bay Snapper

I used to do quite well in the bay on my lightly weighted plastics

cheers tim

well you couldn't do any worse than u have been offshore i guess...should be a good fish off for the plastic boys in the bay.... for grinners that is..

I found mine corroded but I did use it in open boats and it copped some salt spray. From a performance perspective it was great and for 100 bucks could not ask for more. It caughht a dozen Mack Tuna to 7 kilos on it's first trip and was excellent. Mine was the Previous model though so maybe the new model lasts a bit better?

Yeah i have OCD and keep all my gear in A1 condition these days so i should be able to keep the corrosion at bay

cheers tim

Quote Originally Posted by Richo1 View Post
    I've got the 1500 & 2500 and love them, 2500 has caught everything from 89cm Barra, 1m+ Threadies, spangled emperor and as of yesterday an 86cm snapper. 7 years old and still going strong. Will out live my Sol for sure!
    thanks richo. You just made a decision for me i now have a nice little reel to couple my new pflueger trion 2-4kg ,, been tossing up between a couple ... now jus to get a mate for my zing.

Anyone know how much 8 or 10lb fireline will fit on a 2500 symetre ?

cheers tim

I reckon the whole 300 yard spool would go close to fitting mate. Certainly a lot more than 150 yards anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    thanks richo. You just made a decision for me i now have a nice little reel to couple my new pflueger trion 2-4kg ,, been tossing up between a couple ... now jus to get a mate for my zing.
    Have mine on a Trion as well, great set up.
    On the 2500 I have 300m of 12 lbs Platypus Pre-test braid.

that much hey Richo ? im spooling with sunline super pe 8lb 300 yd today.

Yep surprised me, the platypus pretest braid is pretty fine.