Thread: First build

First build

After some practice runs on some old rods for the threadwork only I have finally done my first rod from start to finish including the epoxy. Not sure of the blank but it's a pretty sweet little 6 foot Carbon fibre rod that would be in the 15 lb range. I think it's a Rainshadow MB724 but I can't find the specs on the net. It came with all that rod building stuff I bought as did the grips, guides and real seat. Thread was Prowrap and I used ProKote to epoxy. I had only one practice run on the epoxy before this too so very happy with the result. It was my first ever Chevron which is a little silly to do on this but I couldn't help myself. Guides are Amtaks HZT which are actually very good quality. I overbound the stripper with A then C plus Forhan locked the next two guides in C. First time I've ever done that too.
    Truth be told it's not finished yet. I need to put another coat or two on to finish her up.
    There are a couple more on the way so I'll need to have a garage sale to sell them all to feed the addiction..........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: First build

Not a bad job at all Daintreeboy.
    Warning! once you start, you just can't stop making more. :-)

Looks great for the first time effort.
    Straight to the Pool Room.
    Well done.

Looks good for the first one mate,you know what they say, the more you do something the better you get,so keep up the good work,i am doing my first builds also so hopefully come out as good as that one.
    CHEERS AND BEERS

Lovley work for a first build mate keep up the good work

Good job. I would keep the silicon sray up to the gold hoods mate, they corrode fairly quick.

Nicely done all 'round.
    If its an MB784 you'll be happy with it.
    Don't know of a 724
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Thats a great start to your rod building journey
    Willo

Looks fantastic there Daintreeboy would have been good to have seen some pics on how you went about that wrap being your first time ,have you learnt from a DVD something id like to have a go at,cheer chris.

Thanks guys. Chris if you take a close look the first section of gold is a ribbon. I put that on first after taking the measurements to do a diamond. then I just thought what the heck I'll have a go at a Chevron which I heard was to lay the threads up and back in front of the previous thread and never behind it, if that makes sense. Id you do one wrap in fron then one behind you'll end up with a diamond. That's all I heard and since it sounded simple I gave it a crack. So I put a black thread in front of the ribbon then back to the winding check to complete both sides of the ribbon. all other threads went the same way. I assume that's what you do since it came out as one!

Maybe someone on here can explain it better or post a link or photos of one in the making?

Thank for that Daintreeboy i can see that some is ribbon, and tes its probly something you have to see being done to get the jist of things better, ive watched a few Docski DVDs and trying to get my head around what and how he does it with threads every were to do a weave is mind boggleing the way you have done it seems a bit easyer with the ribbon to have a go at ,cheers chris.

Top job. Come in spinner your hooked now.
    Cheers Graham

Great job mate looks the goods