Thread: Porta Jump battery starter

Porta Jump battery starter

http://www.porta-jump.com/porta-jump...-jump-starter/

Anyone used one of these? They're only 1kg and small. If any good feedback comes in I might get one for the ski, and change over their cigarette lighter end to a couple of battery clips. Whaddya reckon?

Re: Porta Jump battery starter

Mate looks good. I was just thinking about putting in a second battery, but I like his. I will ask anyone on Bris jet ski

Saw one apart and it was just rows of rechargable AA sized batteries. Crazy Clarks had genuine ones for $10 not long ago. People say they do not jump a car with a dead battery only help when there is only just not enough to turn the starter. I wouldn't be trusting one in a marine environment and if you feel the need for a backup battery I would want one I could trust when I needed it most.

From their FAQ's -

Q. If my car battery is completely dead, or at a low level, will the PJ work?
    A. No. It is not designed to replace or jump-start a completely dead battery. It only carries 30 volts and if your battery is at too low to#
    accept a charge, the LED light will not turn green.

If the 30volts is a real number I would be very worried about engine computers on a ski.

I'm surprised becaue of the high compression just how much grunt a ski battery needs on a cold motor so I wouldn't rely on a cheapo unknown not designed for the vibration and g forces of a ski.

Go to your local golf buggy shop and they will have heaps of small quality gel / sealed agm cell batteries ( panasonics, sohenshine etc) from walk behind that will no longer make 18 holes ( ie only 17) on a hilly course but don't weigh much and will have heaps of grunt , unspillable etc. Your old man . mum or mates will have one due for replacement or not keeping up with the other codgers. They don't self discharge much so hold charge for months so every month or so just trickle it up and you have a spare for $5 scrap value to strap in and just have a small jumperleads? . They are a back up and won't cope with a high output alternator - I'm not sure what is on ski's

Cheap if you already have a small charger designed for them and the golf shop would probably have a old charger lying around as well from a dead buggy. I'm talking buggy shops not golf pro shops.

Most buggy shops have a discharge tester and most check batteries before replacing and do it at XX amps for XX minutes so you know exactly what you are getting.

I saw a marine version at BCF for $99, which twigged me to the idea. Don't know what the difference is between the two though. I run two batteries with a VSR electronic relay so it's not for me, just for others who're out their with me who break down. Might just carry a good set of jumper leads instead.

Quote Originally Posted by skipak View Post
    I saw a marine version at BCF for $99, which twigged me to the idea. Don't know what the difference is between the two though. I run two batteries with a VSR electronic relay so it's not for me, just for others who're out their with me who break down. Might just carry a good set of jumper leads instead.
    Hi Paul,

I have just replaced my old battery and fitted a second backup battery.

• 1st Battery - Deka ETX20L fitted in the same battery bracket/space as old unit. 270CCA (Cold crank AMP) Will use for running sounder etc...
    • 2nd Battery - Deka ETX30LA - 400CCA and will only be used to start jestki...largest compact Deka available. Weighs 10kg but certainly has the grunt.

Also looked at some other options....Ballistic batteries, small, compact, light 1,3kg (500CCA!!!). They are quite expensive but guaranteed for three years!!! Maybe next time round...
    http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc.../batteries.php

Very good options all round for anyone going out wide.

Cheers...........

I just put in a second battery with isolation switch, batt 1 batt 2 or 1 & 2.
    Havnt been out since installation but all works well on land. Lol

Greg