Thread: Iluka and the Clarence

Iluka and the Clarence

Heading down to Iluka in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone had any tips or pointers of where to start fishing.Never fished the area before but I have dreams of fishing the close in reefs from my tinny as well as chasing Jewies and Tailor from the wall, perhaps even a flathead or two in the river.So many hopes but no idea so hopefully someone can help me out with any knowledge they have of the area.

Heres hoping, cheers.

Re: Iluka and the Clarence

crash theres always a feed of bream at Browns Rocks.
    Other than that i fish the middle wall for flatties and jew.
    Should be plenty of blackfish along the walls too if youre into them.
    Dean

Thanks Dean I will investigate these areas, cheers for the feedback.

Hi Crash

We spent a week down there recently. It was a bit of a train wreck at first but it got better .

We put a bit of info up on Ausfish and also started a thread asking what other people do when exploring a new estuary (that wasn't specifically asking about the Clarence but because that is where we were at the time some of the comments are about the area, however it is a bluddy useful thread anyway). Both threads have a bit of Yamba / Clarence / Illuka info embedded in them if you have a quick read through; these are the links:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...start-the-week).

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...w-estuary-quot

Hope that helps a bit. Make sure you put up a report about your time down there we'll be looking forward to it

Tim and Trace

It sounds like the bream are starting to show up at last.

If you want to mosey on up to Browns Rocks, go past the green beacon for about 60 metres or so and sound around for the drop off. That should put you on to them. About 2 hours before the top and a couple of hours after the top should be the best times.

Then there's always flatties on the Yamba side of Middle Wall at low. Try for jew on the Iluka side of Middle Wall towards the eastern end provided the tide's not roaring too much.

TOL

TOL

Chas & Clarry you are right I love the second link you sent through, I have done the first three you mentioned and can't wait to talk to a local at the boat ramp or pub. I contacted Ben the owner of Dizzys Bait & Tackle at Iluka and he was sensational. I chewed his hear for 10 or 15 minutes about whats on at the moment and where a Clarence River virgin should start fishing. Can't wait to call in on arrival and continue our chat, I'm also very keen to support his shop as he has already provided good info & it seems only fair he profits from his knowledge.

Both Dean & the Old legend where spot on regarding Browns Rocks it appears the bream are schooling around there and the flathead (reportedly) are also being caught from the rocks and further upstream.

I am also very keen to hook into a good Jew so appreciate the Middle Wall tip TOL and will provide feedback (hopefully good) on these spots.

Appreciate the advice, cheers.

Hey Crash i spent a week there in march and Dizzys were awesome. Got some cheap lures and bait and they certainly helped put me onto fish while i was there.
    So many options for you there good luck

was there may long weekend (qld) good jew at high tide on full moon near end of middle wall (Iluka side),used stinky old pillies i had intended to use as berley. Good Luck

Crash, if you go as far upstream as far as Maclean, talk with the people at Deep River Tackle they are a gold mine of useful info (found that out on a previous trip there). On the Yamba side of the river the tackle shop in the BP was good for info but frankly the tackle shop in the main street of Yamba was a complete waste of time...NO concept of customer service IMO, we had to drag every little piece of advice out of them like we were extracting teeth

Looking forward to your reports!

Tim and Trace

Awesome guys I reckon I've a got a few good options to start exloring for the first couple of days and tides and hopefully can provide some good photos with a report. Ben from Dizzys did mention that the flathead are being caught from Browns Rocks up to Maclean so probably a good chance I will get up that far, and will take your advice Tim & Trace and call into Deep River Tackle. Every bit off info helps.

Good to hear Rat that you caught a Jewie on a pilie, I was keen to float a few around just incase the tailor show, very encouraging.

Cheers

*Big river Bait and Tackle