Thread: Food dehydrator

Thumbs up Food dehydrator

After hunting trips or a period of excess fruit or veg there is alot left over, that get used as the same old dishes or get frozen etc etc.

I looking at getting a good food dehydrator to dry the fruit or make jerky out of the meats etc.

What brand /type can you recomend?
    Any other info would be useful/ hints or tips!.

Smoking drags
    Stop professional fishing... before it's too late!

Re: Food dehydrator

Hi waterbouy, I actually used mine today. I have a sunbeam 5 level circular dehydrator from the good guys, which I use for jerky. If making jerky cut into strips around 5-7 mm, if you go to thick you'll be there all day and some of the night.

I marinate mine over night then place it on some paper towel and dry it off. Then I get paper clips and unfold them so you have two hooks. One end goes threw the meat and the other goes on a wire cooling rack, space apart. Then I put it in the BBQ, this is where it get a little tricky. I have a 4 burner hooded one, the far left I have the wood chips with the flame as low as it will go, wait for it to start smoking then add the meat on the right side. Don't let it get to hot or you will cook it.

After it has finished smoking take it out and put in the dehydrator for however long it takes. If you didn't want to smoke it then just dry it on the paper towel and then in to the dehydrator. I have also done mango in it that's really nice.

The dehydrating process for jerky takes me anywhere from 4-8 hours, just leave spaces around whatever you have in there so that the air can circulate.
    Good things come to those who bait