Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Double Island Lagoon netted and cleaned-out by the pro's!!!How can this be allowed???

Re: Double Island Lagoon netted and cleaned-out by the pro's!!!How can this be allowe

rando

Mullet Musketeer is correct,

This is seasonal work and weather dependent. They cannot rely solely on this work to make a living and pay their mortgages otherwise , just like farmers on the land, there will be a high rate of suicide, it's just not spoken about or mentioned in the media or eslewhere as people think pro fishers are a tough bunch..how further from the truth.

Pro fisherman dont receive diesel fuel rebate unlike the man on the land does. Man on the land i.e. farmer, use to receive a fuel rebate i.e. subsidised in the past...times might have changed a little, but the farmer of the sea,,,didley squat and always shafted.

The info above was an insight from those who taught commercial fisheries and economics at Gateway TAFE . Those marine teachers were all ex Commonwealth and State Fisheries Inspectors and a good bunch of blokes I have got to known personally.

Bondy

Re: Double Island Lagoon netted and cleaned-out by the pro's!!!How can this be allowe

I would check your facts Bondy.

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    rando

Mullet Musketeer is correct,

This is seasonal work and weather dependent. They cannot rely solely on this work to make a living and pay their mortgages otherwise , just like farmers on the land, there will be a high rate of suicide, it's just not spoken about or mentioned in the media or eslewhere as people think pro fishers are a tough bunch..how further from the truth.

Pro fisherman dont receive diesel fuel rebate unlike the man on the land does. Man on the land i.e. farmer, use to receive a fuel rebate i.e. subsidised in the past...times might have changed a little, but the farmer of the sea,,,didley squat and always shafted.

The info above was an insight from those who taught commercial fisheries and economics at Gateway TAFE . Those marine teachers were all ex Commonwealth and State Fisheries Inspectors and a good bunch of blokes I have got to known personally.

Bondy
    farmer of the sea pfttt rubbish , rapist more like it

And we get whats left!!!
    Maybe we can buy our fish off a third world country in the future( thats if we dont become one of those countries)
    Dont worry guys, theres not much left down here to catch either. Most of the mullet are gone and so are the fish that feed on them.
    Take away the bottom end of the food chain and what do you have. A fish Desert!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shane450 View Post
    farmer of the sea pfttt rubbish , rapist more like it
    You must see the world in rose coloured glasses

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    I would check your facts Bondy.
    I have checked my facts Apollo. I don't believe I seen you at Gateway TAFE, Mariitime section.

If you was not there then dont speculate something you have not been a party to. Are you saying what I said is not correct, if so, what part is not correct? My info is 1985.

Bondy

Rabbi,

Reasons they all screwed up mate is due to lack of fisheries management in their respectiev countries, just look at the phillipines, thailand and most asian countries, taking everything, fishing with dynamite, narcotics and other tricks...I'm against this practice.

Sure, they can come into Aus and have a fish but dont treat the resources of this country the same way as they treat them back from their native countryas if there is no tomorrow.
    Bondy

I have checked my facts Apollo. I don't believe I seen you at Gateway TAFE, Mariitime section.

If you was not there then dont speculate something you have not been a party to. Are you saying what I said is not correct, if so, what part is not correct? My info is 1985.

Bondy
    You are correct. You didn't see me at some TAFE and my info is not 27yrs old.

Through my job, I deal with commercial fishermen quite regularly and have a better than fair understanding of what their current fishing cycles are and what they ACTUALLY do and the money they ACTUALLY make. I didn't hear it from someone who taught a TAFE subject near three decades ago.

A lot of commercial fisherman work year round and target different species/areas depending on what licences they hold. Most of the ones I deal with, this is their sole source of income and yes they manage to pay mortgages, etc They also are entitled to the same fuel rebates any primary producer on the land is entitled to.

Comparing land based farmers to commercial fisherman is a bit far fetched, don't you thinK? Yes, I deal with farmers pretty much ever working day too. Two completely different business environments with completely different factors affecting their economics and terms of trade, but I guess you heard different from a guy you met on a train in 1989 or something, so maybe I am wrong!

As I said - check your facts, as I think your info maybe a bit dated.

All the best.

You must see the world in rose coloured glasses
    nope my eyes are just OPEN is all , tell me bondy what do pro netters put back ? thats not dead that is ... ahhh the poor pro netters , so hard to make a living rapeing the enviroment these days

Its very sad all people see is the export $$$$ to be made off this rape , oh and the old "but what will people use for crab pot bait " , very small minds

Bondy
    Bondy, I think your in the wrong weight division mate........

Interesting that Bondy came to this discussion with the pretense of an unbiased and open view. Mate, your arguments don’t display an unbiased view.

Pro netting has always bugged the hell out of me. Standing on the beach having put aside a day, I catch one tailor and the blokes launch their nets, bring in a haul and alas I catch nothing.
    This thread prompted me to seek a few facts which are publicly available on the DAFF website.

The research seems to show that sea mullet are sustainably fished (1). Unfortunately I don’t imagine the pollies taking away licenses if the monitoring shows the fishery is sustainable This is to the great detriment of recreational fishos.
    It appears there are 62 commercial sea mullet license holders in Queensland (2). The QLD sea mullet GVP is approximately $10m (3) (2002 data, I think this number has declined due to stronger competition from overseas suppliers (4)).
    Some crude approximations would therefore lead one to the conclusion that each license holder would be seeing revenue of approximately 160k. I have no idea what a commercial fisho’s business running costs are but I would imagine the industry is strong enough to hold out any netting ban in SEQ. (I AM NOT CLAIMING TO KNOW THESE FACTS, SIMPLY PRESENTING SOME LIMITED RESEARCH ON THE MATTER)
    Unfortunately, money usually talks.

1. http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/documents..._ASR_Final.pdf
    2. http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/documents...ing-2007on.pdf
    3. http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/documents...2004-Part2.pdf
    4. http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/documents...1112-Part3.pdf

Having been a part of a commercial fishery and having signed pay cheques for fisherman, I KNOW for an absolute FACT that they pay their mortgages. They pay for nice new cars. They pay for copious amounts of 'toy money' whether that be grog, other boats, jet skis motor bikes or presents.
    A regular, standard mullet mesher who operates in the Clarence river was recently advised by his accountant "You need to spend at least $100,000 on either a new boat, a new ute or an investment to get your tax down to a manageable level. He chases mullet when the dollar is high, will mesh for catfish when the Sydney fish markets are paying well, drifts for flatties/whiting when they're on, traps bream and crabs, handlines for snapper and trolls for mackeral. He makes a motza from the finfish industry.

But he can't pay his mortgage right? It's a joke. A sad, mismanaged joke.\

Theres 2 types of fisherman who can't pay his mortgage, who can't rely on an income. The first is a lazy one, the same as the lazy laborer many of you blokes probably have. Doesn't care if he has a fortnight off work. Doesn't care if his bills are paid late. Wouldn't look at his bank account twice unless he needed to grab his medicinal marijuana....

The other I really feel for, the bloke who due to no fault of his own is unable to harvest wild caught seafood due to weather, seasonal fluctuations, temporary restrictions and other restrictions out of his control. The school prawn fishery recently felt this in Nth NSW approx. 2 years ago where due to flooding at the wrong times many fisherman simply didn't go to work. Tough times. Tough industry. No different to the bloke who owns the tackle store who gets no business because it rains all summer and he gets no tourist dollars.

Rabbi,

Reasons they all screwed up mate is due to lack of fisheries management in their respectiev countries, just look at the phillipines, thailand and most asian countries, taking everything, fishing with dynamite, narcotics and other tricks...I'm against this practice.

Sure, they can come into Aus and have a fish but dont treat the resources of this country the same way as they treat them back from their native countryas if there is no tomorrow.
    Bondy
    I know mate as I have just come back from one of those countries and its probly like looking at Australia in 10, 20 or 50 years time but inevitable nonetheless.
    Unfortunately we are treating our fisheries as if they are a bottomless bucket. I think some of their netting figures are somewhat fudged as we are back to no mullet much at all left in the area. Up until 3 or 4 years back we were still seeing schools (smaller quantities) of mullet nearly all winter. The last few years have seen the area devoid of mullet after the first month of the netting season and along with the fish that feed on them.
    Its a dwindling resource and just from what I have seen over the last decade we are seeing only a very small fraction of whats left.
    How can emptying a river and its beaches of its prime food fish ever be sustainable.
    I have seen the future and its not pretty.
    Cheers.

10's if not 100's of thousnads of Australians are having to retrain and or move to other industries lately, its all over the news, whether they are aircraft engineers, truck drivers, manufacturing workers, accountants, car parts workers.... whoever....its going on at an unprecedented rate, perspnally I dont give a shit if 160 beach netters have to find another way to earn a living so that this obscene practise is halted. Why is it obscene? Becasue the consequences of this practise benefit only a handful of people (Netters) but negatively impact thousands more (Rec fishos).

Let's stick to the subject guys.

Contact has now been made with:-

Fisheries Queensland
    The Fisheries Minister
    A couple of sitting LNP members
    The Premier
    A media outlet
    Sunfish

IMO.... there are a number of issues and all are important, but for me, the by-catch and killing of Seabirds is a BIG one.

The biggest is the special kids missing out on a memory that would last a lifetime. Very very sad.

I'll keep you posted on responses from contacted people.

Regards

LP.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here