Thread: A newbie in Mackay

A newbie in Mackay

Hi All

Have been following this forum for some time and have got a great deal of info off the many posts!

I have a 4.35m Seajay with a 40hp Yamaha etc etc. We wish to try out some of the local spots over the next few days (24th June to 28th June), but being new up here...I have no idea. I have talked to a lot of the local tackle shops, but have probably keep too quite in my responses not to show my ignorance!

I am used to south east QLD waters, but both my son (he is 14 BTW) and I open to something new.

Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Bruce

Re: A newbie in Mackay

Bruce, call in and see Clint, Nathan and the boys in Tackleworld (Shakespeare St) and they'll assist you. They let you know what's biting and where and the info is always appreciated.

Blog Entries

I have no idea as I dont live up that way mate but welcome to the site and best of luck out there

Fishing the Pioneer for jacks, flathead, queenies, trevally and barra. You could head to the dams for sooties and barra. Seaforth for the listed saltwater species. Then on the good days, head just out to the closer islands for macs.

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    Bruce, call in and see Clint, Nathan and the boys in Tackleworld (Shakespeare St) and they'll assist you. They let you know what's biting and where and the info is always appreciated.
    Wags is spot on Bruce. Head into Tackleworld, the boys there are fantastic and will show you what to do. Just tell them what fish you want to catch, and they'll tell you how and where.

Well the weather is crap, but other than that the whiting have been fishing very well in the pioneer. Try across from the ramp in the river where the yabby banks are and the sand island across from canelands, just fish the incoming tides. You could head to sea forth and tow some lures around and you may pick up a mackeral or two just go early.

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk 2

Hi all and many thanks for the replies.
    I talked to the boys at Tackleworld and got some great advice and tips! I'll put them to good use when the weather improves! Krazy is spot on...crap weather!!

Got a few 30cm bream along the rock wall in front of the yabby banks across from the boat ramp...but nothing else.Keep the son happy though and that's what counts!

G'day mate, a very safe place to wet a line and have a day out is the Newry Islands. Head north to Seaforth (48 km from Mackay) and launch from Victor Creek. The islands are ony 4-7 km off shore.

http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/new...nds/index.html