Thread: North East Arnhem Land

North East Arnhem Land

Sorry fella's its been bloody ages since I was in here last

About this time last year, I had the unique experience of spending a couple of weeks in North East Arnhem land, with an aboriginal tribe called the Yolgnu people. This is a dry community two days drive from Darwin. The people are loving and giving peoples.
    During our time there, we were taught to find the correct sapling to make spears, of which we made two each. One was for warm blooded animal hunting, and the other for fishing. We hunted by hand, using our home made spears. We tried eating different plants, sea food, and buffalo.
    We were adopted by the Yolgnu people into their lives; I have a full family there, brothers, aunts, uncles, mothers and fathers, and poison members of my family too, you have to go there for the explanation. You are introduced into their culture and lives.
    Follow this link to get a better idea of the life you get to live there.
    I am going back in to Mäpuru this September; we go in as a group of 10 balanda (white men). There are a couple of seats for this trip if people are interested. Contact Sam at nature philosophy

Re: North East Arnhem Land

Hi
    Your adventure sounds wonderful. I travelled around the territory and met some great people and learnt a lot while I was up there. Talked to alot of wise people with some very wise ideas that we could all take note of. It is good to learn about different ways of life and be shown different things.
    I had the privilege many years ago to know Pastor Sir Doug Nichols-- an aboriginal elder who was the most interesting man I have ever known. A very wise and knowledgeable man.

Hope you give us a report of the next trip and maybe some pictures. Would be very interesting.

Cheers
    Ronnie

wow bungie, for someone at the right time in their life that is the opportunity of a lifetime, very cool .................. for me if only it was 10-15 years ago ....................

Quote Originally Posted by PADDLES View Post
    wow bungie, for someone at the right time in their life that is the opportunity of a lifetime, very cool .................. for me if only it was 10-15 years ago ....................
    I am 51, one of the others on this trip is in his 80,s

Looks like a wonderful adventure Bungie. Can you sneak in a casting outfit for a few casts off the headlands? What is the cost ex Darwin? It would be something I would love to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    Looks like a wonderful adventure Bungie. Can you sneak in a casting outfit for a few casts off the headlands? What is the cost ex Darwin? It would be something I would love to do.
    All costs are Darwin to Darwin. Best contact Sam in the link to talk prices etc

That was a great read. I'd love to do it one day.

i didn't necessarilly mean young budgie, i more meant sneaking away from my family for a few weeks, in another 8-10 years i'd probably get away with it again.

Quote Originally Posted by PADDLES View Post
    i didn't necessarilly mean young budgie, i more meant sneaking away from my family for a few weeks, in another 8-10 years i'd probably get away with it again.
    My Mrs and kids didnt give me a choice, they told me I was going back hmmm wonder what they are up too while I am away LOL