Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fastest fish ?

Fastest fish ?

I know G.Ts get the line singing, But i have never caught anything that goes faster than a decent size Bluefin/ Longtail tuna. WOW they can go. Any body caught anything that goes harder? This is not a google contest.

Re: Fastest fish ?

I saw on TV that the sail fish was the fastest fish in the ocean. I have never seen one, little own caught one however.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

The fastest fish is ...
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    The one that sees my bait. Baitus avoidus. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong.

The Blue Marlin.

pretty sure sailfish the fastest known fish, followed by wahoo

Hang on, what about the sea cucumber....

Are we talking instant speed or over a sustained distance? If so how long?

A Sailfish is the fastest I have seen accelerate. They can go from zero to warp speed in a very short distance, quite amazing.

I'm pretty sure it is documented that Sailfish, Wahoo and Broadbill Swordfish are the fastest fish in the ocean, all capable of 80-100km/hr in short bursts.

Cheers,
    Myles
    "Elempi" American Bertram 33, 3208T Caterpillar power

The Pacific Sailfish is apparently the fastest ....... officially

Their short bursts are certainly mindblowing but it's the tail walk that gives you a real sense of speed . .......
    That said .... without putting them on a speed gun I have found wahoo over a short distance pretty impressive & seen Mako sharks strip line as quick as anything ..... but yeh in the end I'd go along with the sailfish

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

From the fish brought to our boat - the 27 kilo Wahoo followed by the 26 kilo model. The 26 kilo model had ripped a few hundred metres off the reel before we knew it.

A couple of hundred KGs of Marlin strips some serious line off a reel very quickly. Much more than any Hoo or Tuna
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

the fastest I have caught in recent times is a saily then a big wahoo and like Wags said they can peel line at a rate
    however a big spanish with a grey suited bugger up his clacker gets to warp speed pretty quick too

cheers
    IFISHCQ2

Yeah those men in grey certainly turn it on when they're after a big Mac, Never caught a Sailfish or Marlin , but still reckon a Bluefin smokes the line off quicker than any wahoo I,ve ever caught. Mindyou I have'nt caught one to 26kgs. That big mother of a fish Cobiaman is holding in his avatar would have put the hammer down I reckon??

I think longevity outweighs short bursts in my opinion, which puts the tuna's higher up the rung than wahoo and sailies. A 30keg yellowfin tuna will still be pulling line after you've sunk the gaff into a 'hoo or put a tag in a sail.

I've always heard the Sailfish is supposed to be the quickest, but I've never struck one that was truly awe inspiring.

A 20kg Yellowfin Tuna we got one day blew my mind though. . . . . 30ft out from the boat, it went from 90 degrees off the port side to 90 degrees off the starboard side in a flash. The zing of the line through water is still clearly memorable, and it was 20 years ago! Man it was fast! Then it up and died, so it was obviously a last ditch effort and gave its all.