Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deep Drop Fishing Tackle

Deep Drop Fishing Tackle

I know a few guys are interested in fishing for deep sea ooglies - blue eye trevs and harpuka and was wondering about having a thread with gear and rigs for ready reference.

I know someone even said they will make deepsea rigs for a price.

So wondering about having in this thread rig and tackle ideas and what is good or not good about them.

I did go into tackle store after 13/0 circle hooks - not readily available

To kick it off:-

I did see in current June QFM Queensland Fishing Monthly this advert and there were two deep drop jigs:-

750mm = 2.2kg = $59
    350mm = 0.74kg = $29

IMG.jpg
    Cheers

Trev

Re: Deep Drop Fishing Tackle

I've got my 1000yrds of braid, 500lb leader, 400lb swivels sorted........just need good weather when I'm back next.

I was going to start making all sorts of jokes about using a 175 Zuke for a sinker but that's just damn cruel and I'd hate to get on your bad side with your new found photo shop editing skills.

See them sooks in the ad with the electric reel. come on now i got me hand line and deckie ready... cause im a nice guy and supply and handline.
    Not Muddy he just give his deckie 1000yrds of braid and some well wishes...

I really have nothing organised except the fuel tank getting on steroids.... oh and a big alvey and lead. can put the alvey on a broomstick and hope for the best need to get braid, and leader. For swivels im using an old trick i once seen my mum use and using D shackles. (actually does work)

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    See them sooks in the ad with the electric reel. come on now i got me hand line and deckie ready... cause im a nice guy and supply and handline.
    Not Muddy he just give his deckie 1000yrds of braid and some well wishes...
    I'm still yet to decide on the well wishes.

Trev,

I got my Mustad 16/0 39960D circles from Jones Tackle. You can also get them from wellsys up the coast.

I made mine up with stuff I had gathered off the net.
    100lb braid
    ball bearring swivel on top
    Duralite Diamonds - off the top swivel (water activated, and OK with depth. I had read the lumo sticks sometimes crush at great depths because they have a little air in them). Great lights - water activated and very bright strobe.
    400lb main leader
    Crimp swivels - available at Jones and Tackle wharehouse - place about 4-6 feet apart
    200lb droppers (maybe not thick enough as I have had them wear through) - lumo tube and lumo bead on dropper
    cheap swivel on bottom
    light 40-60lb nylon to dropper weight
    Use 2-4kg

I think beyond 300m, lights and lumo is very important, as there is essentially no light.

Dunno If id be keen on using $60 jigs as a dropper weight, sometimes the dropper weights are on a one way trip. When the fish are on, they shake the my weights off (but I am using light nylon so I dont snag up.)

TM

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    I've got my 1000yrds of braid, 500lb leader, 400lb swivels sorted........just need good weather when I'm back next.

I was going to start making all sorts of jokes about using a 175 Zuke for a sinker but that's just damn cruel and I'd hate to get on your bad side with your new found photo shop editing skills.
    Yep, I am investigating better computer skills and software programs as well so I can put people into more compromising and convincing situations - will keep G rated of course

I just bought some line (1500yds of 150lb line) this evening - all good till missus does the bank stuff again - the price you pay for an accountant wife
    line.jpg

The plan is to put it onto a Penn International 80TW - so yep doing it tough to start with and see how we go.

The 2.2kg jigs look interesting - but I would be real peeved snagging one and losing it. Happier to lose a can of concrete or something like that - maybe something agricultural would suffice - tube filled with lead and wire trace inside?

Yes yes all a bit horse before the cart for me as I need a boat. But it is nice to be thinking of fishing anyway. I bought some fishing mags a week ago and can't get interested in looking in them.
    Cheers

Trev

As for weight I've got it on good authority to think about the weight/drag coefficient and have settled on 32mm reo bar.

Don't worry about the cart mate.....mine still works.

good pick, trev.

Power pro is one of the thinnest lines at that breaking strain.

tm

Go for bright line(yellow) rather than green. Helps the driver keep the line vertical when he can see it from his seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    As for weight I've got it on good authority to think about the weight/drag coefficient and have settled on 32mm reo bar.

Don't worry about the cart mate.....mine still works.

What length are you going to cut the reo Anthony?

TOL

Quote Originally Posted by theoldlegend View Post
    What length are you going to cut the reo Anthony?

TOL

2kg would be about 300mm long

easy enough to grind one end thin and drill a hole through - one 2kg snapper-ooglie lead whallah

Wonder how they would go if you heated them then dunked them in that lumo powder
    Cheers

Trev

I suppose green is the popular colour.

Wonder if purple would be a hit?

Duralight.JPG
    Cheers

Trev

Don't waste your money on the lights. Run lumo tube on ur 200lb leaders off the mainline..

Trev,

Can get them cheaper than that.
    12 for $99 at miyaepoch.com.au, or 5 for $60 on fleabay. Cheaper than getting them from the states. They are run by the solas guys up the coast.

Green or White is what I use.

TM