Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deep Drop Fishing Tackle

Re: Deep Drop Fishing Tackle

Welcome Pat.

Muddy will bring the Turkey or be the . . .
    Cheers

Trev

Very well played Trev.....

Yeah I'll be the...........

I hope after reading these threads you don't think that we are professionals more than welcome to tag along I'm heading out August with the shy guys at this time may even rope trev into another trip. Have no marks but east is the general direction I plan on traveling. will get a couple of marks before August.

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    I hope after reading these threads you don't think that we are professionals more than welcome to tag along I'm heading out August with the shy guys at this time may even rope trev into another trip. Have no marks but east is the general direction I plan on traveling. will get a couple of marks before August.
    We are a little better off than that - I would be happy to go prospecting with this:-

Quote Originally Posted by Spot82 View Post
    Very Rough marks for the following taken off Navionics to give people the general idea of where to look.

Tweed Canyons: 28 14 538 153 54 514

Riv Grounds: 27 46 356 153 57 561

Cape Moreton Canyons: 26 49 173 153 44 280 and 26 57 583 153 48 803

Noosa Canyons: 26 15 860 153 51 947

Also when you are sounding deep water turn your ping speed down (5 or 6 instead of 10) as this will give you better reedings as well as run your chart speed at 1:2 instead of 1:1.
    And one thing further, surely no one is dumb enough to read the stupid ideas we come up with here and think we are professional for goodness sake!
    Cheers

Trev

I may have something on the books. Are you coming August trev?

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    I may have something on the books. Are you coming August trev?
    If my boat is fixed and the weather is good then I am good.

Not going to the Tweed though.
    Cheers

Trev

Me either. Got a couple of other options. Plus the ones you have. Maybe the pin. Or seaway? Or north coast. Have to do a lot more prep first. Im west bris so not keen heading to far down the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post

And one thing further, surely no one is dumb enough to read the stupid ideas we come up with here and think we are professional for goodness sake!
    Speak for yourself mate......

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    Speak for yourself mate......
    General comment Muddy but doesn't preclude you - ZUK 175 for a sinker - shame shame

We've had bricks for sinkers, anchor retrievers for lifting the fish, scuba bladders to lift the fish, reo for sinkers, glow sticks that will crush for lights.

Just one thing on the snagging of a sinker - if you drop a length of reo to the sea floor you are asking for a snag. It will tend to lay flat and reo is not smooth (so it grips concrete) - it will nicely wedge and grip reef too. Longer reo might be faster to sink but it will also be faster to snag.

Best idea I have read here so far for a sinker is to pour lead into an aluminium tube and flatten the end - this will allow the sinker to be kept upright when at the bottom hence reducing chance of a snag. Snapper leads are tapered and designed to minimise snags.

If you want to drop some reo into the aluminium tube with the lead to make up the weight it has merit too.

I am not trying to put down left field ideas - I encourage them, they are great (some even farside - but doesn't mean we shouldn't think them through as well.

Some say we are thinking too much just get out there and do it. Well, when you only get a few chances to try and when it takes money, effort and time to get there why not do it right too.

I have read about a guy going out to Brown Mountain off Sydney and with an electric only landed 15% of fish hooked where the manual reel landed 80% - it was said the hook must be a single circle hook - other hooks were tearing out of the mouth on the way up - will gangs work? Are they strong enough for these type of fish? Well I will use the proven method of a single very heavy circle hook.

I explored the idea of using oiled fillets etc for bait and was told - stick with the proven method of a pilly. I think fillets helicopter on descent.
    Cheers

Trev

Oops I think Muddy was really using reo.... I can get a heap of 300 gal bar.
    Also I think he planned to leave the reo at the bottom. I am making lead sinkers for the adventure. Have a heap of roofing lead and lead burner thingy. The idea of putting a few snapper leads on has won me over. I will plan to leave them at the bottom.

When it hits the bottom wind it up 5-10 meters.. Don't leave it on the bottom waiting to get snagged..

Reo Bar sounds cheap and I thought it would stay more vertical like a jig, just wind up or let out so it touched the bottom every now and then.
    Besides I am crossing the fingers for a one drop for one fish, then drink beer and film and photograph the fun and games of Muddy trying to and wind in his... should be a laugh

I'm not winding in shit mate.......I'm just driving the boat for the punters.

Not fishing, yeah right that's like paying a lady of pleasure for a chat !!

Quote Originally Posted by fishfeeder View Post
    Not fishing, yeah right that's like paying a lady of pleasure for a chat !!
    No no - he wants to watch . . . . .
    Cheers

Trev