Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deep Drop Fishing Tackle

Re: Deep Drop Fishing Tackle

Noelm I think you have hit it on the head I am using an alvey with 100lb-120lb braid a swivel onto leader 150lb if I can get or closest to it made up on a 5 hook twisted paternoster rig.
    Swivel al the bottom instead of lead then onto some light line with weight and this will be left at the bottom.
    May chuck a glow stick or something onto 1 of the 2 rigs getting dropped.
    But there is no way I'm spending $60 on a flashing light with no real advantage or guarantee that it's coming back up.
    Drop 1 with no light drift over structure will be using squid, whole mullet, prawn, soft plastic on both rigs.
    Drop 2 with glow stick drift over structure Same set up as drop 1 also may paint sinker with glow paint not sure but have some in shed.
    some will say it won't work some will say it will report either way.

just one other kind of "interesting" thought, have you guys ever seen a light stick that comes back from the "deep" most I have seen are squished to nothing and all the "light" is gone. I have used that lumo tube stuff, can't say as I have noticed any greater success (or any worse either) but by all means, try anything, it is a long way out there, and a long way down, so make the most of it, one thing for sure is, first time you get a snag with $200 worth of braid out, and $75 worth of terminal tackle will make you very nervous! OH, and dont forget how braid will slice off half a finger in a jiffy if it gets a chance.

How far would you say the 350-400 mt mark is from tweed bar i have read on a few threads about 35km. i am wrong in thinking this...
    Also with Muddy heading out first it gives me something to laugh at.... Not sure where he has decided to leave from i chose Tweed purely for on water travel distance.

would going lighter work.... example:
    50Lb braid onto say 80Lb leader say 5m long attached to a 2 dropper style rig with a chunk of steel on the end, on light line so it snaps off in a fight or if snagged...
    Would make it a lot easier to wind in and faster to hit the bottom, 50Lb line has managed to get a few good sharks to the boat so I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfeeder View Post
    would going lighter work.... example:
    50Lb braid onto say 80Lb leader say 5m long attached to a 2 dropper style rig with a chunk of steel on the end, on light line so it snaps off in a fight or if snagged...
    Would make it a lot easier to wind in and faster to hit the bottom, 50Lb line has managed to get a few good sharks to the boat so I can't see why it wouldn't work.
    My secret weapon... if i can get enough 30/50lb braid on the Shimano Charter special i was dropping it aswell. buying the braid in a week or so from amazon... Daiwa braid normally comes in cheap from there

Swivels and mustad circle hooks arrived today. - tick

deep.JPG

1500yds of 150lb power pro braid in transit to put onto the Penn Inter 80T - tick

I am not sure about trace 3mm VB sounds interesting but how do you fix these swivels in place - crimp VB?

Will use Moimoi 400lb trace if VB no good.

The lights are $100 for 12 so that isn't expensive $8 each

I reckon about $15 to 20 a rig but to save the braid I will put 50lb mono to the sinker and 50m of 100lb Braid above the rig - should help secure retrieval of 150lb stuff when a snag happens. And 100lb braid doesn't break easy either.
    Cheers

Trev

When are you heading out trev?

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    When are you heading out trev?
    7 th even if his boat isn't fixed by then.

Going with you is he.

I got the paperwork sorted today all should be done by next week leave end of July so I may follow but wont make the decision till the 4-5 where are you heading from?

Nar........I just want to see how his boat will go hahahahaha.Seriously, I can't let the man gear up like this and not go.

Not sure yet mate.....depends If I can get a bit of a precise mark between now and then for somewhere on the shelf.

Me when? - I don't know.

I am hoping to have quotes for boat repair next day or two then I have to start chasing for it, then with one week of notice min. in for repair then no boat for two to three weeks so - when am I going ????

I am getting everything ready so I am good to go when I am ready also spreading the cost over weeks to minimise SWMBO scrutiny.

I have two weeks off end of this month but first week will be spent pampering the missus on sunshine coast followed by the next week in lignum and cutting timber out-west with a mate, then it's the missus's birthday - so when am I going?

Just want to be ready for when the stars align
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Me when? - I don't know.

I am hoping to have quotes for boat repair next day or two then I have to start chasing for it, then with one week of notice min. in for repair then no boat for two to three weeks so - when am I going ????

I am getting everything ready so I am good to go when I am ready also spreading the cost over weeks to minimise SWMBO scrutiny.

I have two weeks off end of this month but first week will be spent pampering the missus on sunshine coast followed by the next week in lignum and cutting timber out-west with a mate, then it's the missus's birthday - so when am I going?

Just want to be ready for when the stars align
    The stars are aligning week commencing 13 AUGUST. Capitals in case your read as good as Anthony.

Hi Guys, I have been following this thread with great interest & would love to tag along in my boat if anyone wants company for a trip out there , I have a good sounder ( Furano) with a 1 kw tranny with it & am in the process of hunting up some start up GPS marks for this area.I am no fishing guru but am very keen to get in & have a go at this type of fishing.
    Regards ,Pat.