Thread: Rock Fishing Can Be Dangerous !

Rock Fishing Can Be Dangerous !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80943[/ATTACH

Got washed off a rock wall couple of years ago ,

Too keen chasing a Jew in storm surf , picked up and thrown like a skittle

Take care big seas at present
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Rock Fishing Can Be Dangerous !

Ouch! Glad you are around to tell the story.

Gotta ask the question.......did you get him?

Water looked great ,was hopeing for some for action on tide change but this happened 20 mins before that

Jimminy mate, lucky it didn't ko you by the look...nasty!

Sheeeeezzz a few inches over and an tap on the temple would not have been any better. Stay safe mate. She's a cruel mistress sometimes mother nature.

Dangerous alright, sheesh, you were lucky there hey?

Sadly often when one person is washed in others jump in like lemmings to the resuce and multiple fatalities occur. Inflatable PFD's and rock cleats should be the minimum for any body fishing the rocks IMHO.

We don't see too much of it in QLD with limited rocky headlands to fish from but NSW with their large migrant population that like to fish often see very sad stories of multiple members of families perishing whilst rock fishing.....

Mate thats a hummdinger cut and damn lucky your here to tell the story.Ive done plenty of rock fishing in the past and at times its not for the faint hearted,lost some rods and tackle doing so while running for dear god up to higher ground at times.(wrecks your day)cheers and take care.

Quote Originally Posted by childers View Post
    Got washed off a rock wall couple of years ago ,
    Jeez - seas musta been savage cause its taken you a long time to get ashore...

That's why I fish from a boat!

In all seriousness it is good to see you survived with relatively minor injuries...

Crikey! Bloody lucky mate....would have scared the bejeesuz out of you no doubt!

Been there, done that. Have been knocked flat by big green waves that suddenly come over the rocks instead of just white water. Your priorities suddenly change when you have to decide whether to save your rod, tackle, sunnies, hat etc or save yourself instead. I'm a bit more careful these days - but only a bit. I just love fishing the rocks in rough weather - lets you know you're really alive.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Got pulled in over the rocks by a wave fishing the head land rocks at redhead near newcastle as a young fella (13)
    had to swim bout 3.5 km to get to the beach. lost me rod and reel and wallet phone smokes and all. Didnt bother goin back for tackle box and bucket i had had enough as it was a 1 hour climb down a cliff to get to the spot. never fished there again.......
    conditions were good and a freak wave nailed me from behind in the 5 seconds i had my back turned!

Dont get me started guys. Everytime I hear a wave go "boof" I get the shakes and have to calm myself
    Probably lucky that all you got was a nasty cut, but frightening nontheless!

I still have bad dreams about the night I got washed off a rock into the darkness and into more rocks. I havnt turned my back to the sea since!
    Cheers.

Uncle Steve...I was waiting for it...and I see this post was yesterday, so I'll be expecting another update this morning once your aches ease up. I actually had a reply to this post types the day the original post was made.....its said something like I expect Rabbi (uncle Steve) will contribute here at some stage. Took longer than I thought...Nasty stuff childers

Yeah, Childers, nasty stuff mate, been there and done that too, welcome to the club.

History will repeat itself, i.e. you're not the first person and wont be the last person to fall ( in rock fishing).

I'm sure there will be others to surpass us.

Tight lines and may the rod bend

Bondy