Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Gold Coast Tailor

Re: Gold Coast Tailor

Hi tide,

Yeah, I try to avoid crowded places, but also try to avoid donut places too, cant be everywhere at once..and there's always someone saying...mate , you should have been here yesterday, they were on and thick as......I'd be a millionaire now , having a dollar each time I heard that saying.

Bondy

mowerman,

I can relate to what you said about the netters, north straddie would be teaming with them. Someone told me the North Straddie mullet netters are Traditional owners or related. I dont know if that's correct or not.

Bondy

Slider,
    I really enjoy reading your well constructed posts. Have you published your observations and/or hypothesis in a scientific journal?
    Publication will give your argument much more weight in regards to the 'powers-that-be'.
    If your not a scientist yourself, that shouldn't preclude publication, as there would be avenues around that.
    Simplest solution would be to 'co-author' a manuscript with an established marine biologist (which could be one of the US scientists involved in the Bluefish studies) who supports your argument/hypothesis.
    You're clearly keeping an eye out for any research in the area, which would suggest you're reading/accessing the appropriate journals. In that case, write to the editor, with a drafted manuscript, outline your position, experience and observations, and ask for guidance regarding publication. Trust me, editors of scientific journals are supportive to that sort of contact/approach. Moreover, they're generally quite helpful. Without a strict scientific study, you're essentially publishing a hypothesis based on personal observations (supported by current literature ie literature regarding vocalisations). If the journal doesn't tend to publish that style of manuscript, the editor should direct you to one that does. And if the first journal you approach isn't interested in helping guide you through the process, move on to the next journal.
    Of course, if you have published this work, then ignore everything I've said.

Cheers!

Edit: I should point out that I am not a marine biologist, nor do I know the field. I have, however, published scientific manuscripts and have experience with editors and editorial boards.

I'll wait until the sea abates and weather not shitty.

Bondy

Unusual for catches near freshly shot nets that's for sure Mowerman - I haven't heard of it happening here in recent times, but it would no doubt happen and perhaps in some locations rather than others. It's been suggested that Moreton might suffer less from spooking and lesser netting intensity could be a possible reason. There can of course be any number of reasons why fish are where they are, and your account has been stored in my memory to hopefully get me a bit closer to the intricacies of why - from a commercial netting perspective.

I greatly appreciate your feedback and advice Damned. As of a month or 2 ago, my thought process is as you suggest - publish in a scientific journal under my own steam, or publish in collaboration with a marine scientist or behavioural ecologist etc. At this point I am putting together my own paper and have meetings scheduled with a suitably qualified scientist with a view to collaboration. The newly aquired evidence I have that further strengthens the hypotheses has caused me to be eager to achieve the aim one way or the other.
    The difficulty I have encountered with the scientific community to date, is that there are very few individuals in the world who have a solid grasp of what I am talking about, and those that do are naturally fairly keen to publish on their own for obvious reasons - which is taking time. Finding a scientist anywhere in the world with a basic understanding of fish behaviour, alarm signals, behavioural ecology or commercial netting, who believes I am on to something, and has the time, inclination and funding to further my hypotheses, has proven to date to be unachievable.
    The recreational fishing haven proposal obviously had a fair amount of exposure and I did receive some feedback from leading fish biologists within Australia which was all positive. But that document was not intended as a scientific doc and it was always my intention to follow up with one devoted to fish and another devoted to seabirds, dolphins and sharks. As much as it seems I am focused on the Noosa North Shore netting, my overall ambition is for appropriate research to occur in Australian waters and all netted locations to be assessed with fish behaviour and dynamics included as a matter of course.

I anticipate that I'll have a document that is specifically related to inshore commercial netting and resulting fish dynamics, completed within the next month or so and we'll see what happens from there.

Thanks again

Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post

Therefore, the combination of a decrease in bag limits and an increase in size limit, would see in the order of - this is a hard one - perhaps 25 - 30% more tailor swimming and breeding out there compared to the current arrangements.
    Yes but first fisher-people actually have to bag out reasonably frequently for this to even look like an answer.

Fact is, most are catching nix...

Some choppers cruising the broadwater at the moment falling for 6-7in trolled hardbodys. Ben

Truth is they are not late.. some time ago I posted about a fish lost on Bruns wall (shark), but at that time there was a guy there saying there were a few around of good size and he was using a large metal slug but caught none on the day,, this was two months ago.

I snagged one around the Brisbane river two weeks ago and it was pretty fat (not a chopper but not huge), (Photo is actually in this thread).

So they are here for sure, but as I would suspect they have been well hammered by nets.

Ha,, same for the squid in the bay come to think of it, people including myself were bagging 7- 10 good squids in an outing, then all of a sudden ...nothing,,, week after week,, nothing.

Needless to say you won't catch a bag of 10 anymore, lucky to get 1.

Cheers

i see Tailor are back and great Australian Salmon, coooooooollllllll