Thread: Brains trust - Line lay on reel?

Brains trust - Line lay on reel?

Ok Brains Trust…

I have a big shimano baitrunner filled with braid that I have got some line lay issues with. What I have is A, what I want is B. I can get C or D by adding or removing shims under the reel. Any suggestions? I am missing out on line capacity because of it. If worst case scenario and I can’t get B, which version of the line lay is best to optimise casting and line capacity?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Brains trust - Line lay on reel?

I personally would choose option D if I had to choose between C+D I guess to a point, line capacity would depend on the "gaps" you either have two smaller gaps, (1 on each side) or 1 big gap (at the front or rear of the spool)

traverse cam.jpgI am assuming that your reel has the traverse cam type line laying system and not the worm shaft type. It looks like there is not enough travel of your spool shaft.
    It won`t be easy, but if you can find another traverse cam from another Shimano that has the curved groove that the pin on the occilating gear sits in (see photos) you will increase the travel of your spool shaft.
    The cam with the straight groove provides less travel than the curved one.
    Attachment 80889

There are 2 photos in the above post.

I reckon reggy has nailed it; failing that personally i'd stick with what you've got.
    What % of the spool capacity is braid?
    If you can get away with less braid and more mono backing, I think that would improve the profile.

Either fill the spool with an electric drill or get the shop to do it then the reel itself is only changing the top couple of layers of line.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Thanks for the explanation Reggy. Not sure how easy that is going to be to source though... Something to investigate though.

I had a reel that was doing the opposite of yours. It was leaving a dip in the middle and building line up at both ends of the spool.
    I took all the line off and built the middle up with masking tape and when the line went back on it was level.
    So you could try putting some tape at both ends of the empty spool first and see how that goes.
    I realise this does take up room on the spool where you could have more line.