Thread: Somerset blue claw??

Somerset blue claw??

In general I just love the Somerset Dam. Beautiful scenery, wildlife, rolling hills, Bass, Yella's and the ever availabe Red Claw!
    Been setting the pots and collecting a good number after each retrieve.

Now I have trapped many a red claw out of this dam but today was the first time I met a Blue! I don't know if this is common but I do know that this was my first, didn't realise until I got home.

I must've pulled a thousand or so red claw ou the of the dam so far but today I met my first Blue.

Totally different to look at, interesting lobster look!

Smoked him up with the rest!!!!

Re: Somerset blue claw??

Sounds like a great dinner for you. What sort of a smoker set up have you got?
    Good things come to those who bait

The blues are native to the system and probably under some pressure from all the redclaw. Every now and then you'll see one, normally they won't be that big though. I've been told about some inter-breeding with redclaw but I've not seen any of that myself so it could be bs.
    ~~~><))))*>

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    The blues are native to the system and probably under some pressure from all the redclaw. Every now and then you'll see one, normally they won't be that big though. I've been told about some inter-breeding with redclaw but I've not seen any of that myself so it could be bs.
    Mike, i have a fish tank at home with 2 blue claw females and one red claw male all taken from Somerset. The 2 girl blues are forever bearing eggs. I have about 50 or so babies crays crawling around the bottom although the young dont appear to have the telltale soft red part on their claws. All three of the large ones are bright blue with streaks of purple down the bodies. They are quite pretty The 2 girls have smaller plain blue claws and the male has much larger claws with a big soft red part on each claw. I will try take some photos later today

cheers
    Dean

Well there you go, I prob should have thought it would be so as 2 or 3 guys have told me they are inter-breeding.
    MUTANT CRAWS!!!!!........ Bwah hahah....Bwah haha!!!!!!! he says with little finger placed against his lips.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dr-evil2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	80791
    ~~~><))))*>

Sorry the pics arent the best cant work this camera to not flash
    Pic of the male, ones of the girls and 1 of the little ones
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0152.jpg 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	81022   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0153.jpg 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	81023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0154.jpg 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	81024  

Do the crays attack the fish you have in the tank?

Falz they sometimes have a bit of a go but theyre too slow. Some of my bristlenoses are missing parts of their tail though. Often if you turn the light on in the middle of the night the bristlesnoses will actually be sucking on top of the crays.

cherax destructor - not abundant in deep water or dams but prefer small shallow creeks with steep/vertical sides as they burrow into them.
    The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

Cool. i might get a bristlenose few for my tank then, Got any tips on getting the crays to breed (water temp, ph lvl etc etc). the ones i have would be at least 8 mths old now. ive got 2 tanks, one with a heater one with out. no signs yet of any of them starting to breed or actually get along. they re extremely territorial.

mate i have no idea, the water temp is about 25 last time i looked. the females start bearing eggs and it only takes a few weeks and they all hatch. most get eaten but a few have survived. ive had the 3 main crays in there since jan last year and they have bred about 5 times since,,,, one wont be breeding anymore though, found it under the tv unit the other day,must have crawled up the heater and got out when i was cleaning the filter without me noticing

hahaha cheers bud, yeah theyre quick!