Thread: Mud crab questions

Mud crab questions

A couple of friends and myself are planning on going to 1770 for a week or two in a few months time to do some fishing, crabbing and just some R&R. I have heard that at certain times of the year that mud crabs don't have much meat in them. If that is right can some people tell me what time of the year it is that they are most unlikely to have much meat in them. Also what is the best time of the year to go looking for them. Any sort of advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Doug.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Re: Mud crab questions

Oh and any other hints that would be handy would be much appreciated too thanks you. As you might be able to tell I am completely new to this sorta thing, but love eating them
    Cheers, Doug.

Doug,

At this time of year look for the deeper holes, we have had more success in the cooler months at 1770 using this method. You will need to travel a little way upstream, don't just leave the ramp and drop pots. Middle Creek also holds good numbers of crabs and is hit less often, you can tow your tinny in through the national park, just make sure you turn off to Middle Creek as you can't crab in Eurilimba Creek.

Fresh bait is best.
    There is lots of info on this site regarding 1770, use the search box. Good luck it is an awesome place.

fez

Thanks for that Fez. That is much appreciated. Any more advice would be appreciated too if you have any more to give on anything to do with crabbing or fishing around 1770. Or if any other people can give me advice on fishing or crabbing in the area it will be great.

Thanks, Doug.
    Cheers, Doug.

G'day Doug, mate when we fished & crabbed 1770 the best spot for us was up the end of the Bay?? on the right there is a nice little creek. Got to watch the sandbar's though they are everywhere..Best bet is to Google it...As mentioned above fresh bait is best..

Baz

Thanks for that Barry.

So you have actually been there have you?

I might have to catch up with you over a coldy or 3 and get some hints of you on the best places to fish and so on. Did you take your boat offshore fishing there?
    Cheers, Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodoo haven View Post
    Thanks for that Barry.

So you have actually been there have you?

I might have to catch up with you over a coldy or 3 and get some hints of you on the best places to fish and so on. Did you take your boat offshore fishing there?
    We spent a week there a couple of year's ago, Didn't go outside just the creek's...Didn't catch a great amount of fish but it took a while to work out where we were going....Send me a PM so we can have a bit of a yarn i might be of some help...

Baz

Thanks mate. PM sent.

Doug.
    Cheers, Doug.