Thread: Bought a new EPIRB at a great price

Bought a new EPIRB at a great price

Whilst I was checking out a VHF hand held that I want to buy, I also bought a KTI SA1G EPIRB 406G from http://www.reeltackle.com.au (not sure if it is against the rules to post a url here but I am sure if I can't then the moderaters will remove the link) thats the one with the GPS in it and accurate to about 120m as against the cheaper ones without GPS which are accurate only to about 5km, it cost $330 delivered to me in Ningi, which was about $60 cheaper than anywhere else, went down to BCF and also checked on E-bay and a few others online and it was the best price I could find, you can apparently and also legally use it inland as well, about the only marine epirb that is allowed to.

Forgot to mention, 10 yr warranty, battery in this epirb I think is is rated for 20 yrs but recommended to change at 10 yrs. It sounded to good to pass. I was looking originally to get the same one as in my bigger boat which was the Accusat 406G and that one was also about the $390 mark around various places, this one sounds much better and is cheaper from this company.

Cheers

Ed

Re: Bought a new EPIRB at a great price

Ed

Good buy!

But just a note : any marine EPIRB can be used on land, not just this one. When you register the beacon with AMSA you can link it to your boat, car or other vehicle.

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Re: Bought a new EPIRB at a great price

That I didn't know, but apparently from what I have read recently, some of the epirbs need to be in the water to be more effective as they use the water surface to help reflect the signal to the satellites, don't know how true that is but having one would be better than nothing even if it was not working to it's full potential.