Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your approach to unlocking the secrets of a "new estuary"?

Re: What is your approach to unlocking the secrets of a "new estuary"?

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! The answers are full of great advice, we are very glad to have started this thread & hope that it is of use to others too.

Quite a few of the things mentioned here we already do, but there are also some new ideas for us.

It has been great to have the chart plotter for this trip. It is so easy to drop a waypoint at any good looking spots for fishing later.

Thanks
    Tim and Trace

I also try and time my exploratory trips around the new moon, bait fish hold tighter and do not spread all over the place. Find the bait fish around dawn and you will find the best fish around. Sometimes the bait fish hold in unlikely places, there is always a reason for them to be there though.
    Jack.

I have learnt a bit about the Clarence by drifting with the current/tide. Somedays you can go for miles. If you pay attention you will discover various holes ,weed beds , live bait areas, flathead run off zones and hot spots. You will also enjoy yourself immensly. Though the fishing was much better in days gone bye. Sand crab pots are a good idea too. Good hunting Loz.

I think along the same lines as sleepygreg, makes no difference where you are, fish are fish, and where you find them in one area, you will find them in another area 500ks away, I never use google earth or anything else (even though these tools might be useful) half the fun of a new spot is it being new, maybe a quick call to the local baitshop might give you a head start, but for me I look for a species that is available in the area at the time I am there and concentrate on them, whether it be Flathead or Barra. Use uality bait and decent and tackle, or correct technique with lures and you will get results, the travelling fisho who turns up at lunch time with na packet of black prawns from the servo, a Kmart combo with 20KG line and a bag of snapper leads is going to be very lucky to score consistantly.