Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Colorado: anyone know anything?

Re: New Colorado: anyone know anything?

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    Wonder what they will price it at and if they will only do a mine pack?. Wonder if I can afford it or will need to wait till they come second hand. Tough workhorse but not the comfortable day to day without a lot of aftermarket if they just do it for market of the mines. . Yes I want one for a tray top camper and to tow a decent boat with all the parts buyable off the shelf.
    Manual, single turbo only. Vinyl floors, and not too jazzy. It'll be $70K+ says my Dealer, so subject to luxury car tax as well.
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindfreddy View Post
    Does the tow vehicle have to be new? You should be able to spend that sort of money and buy a good 100/200 series or cruiser ute that will tow 3.2T with ease, rather than wringing the neck out of a 4cyl.
    What happened to 200 series Cruiser Timi??
    Why not just use that to tow??

I'd be worried about the weight of the boat behind any of these vehicles.
    It's not just about towing capacity. It's also about not having the weight of the boat push the vehicle off the road if something happens.
    3.5 tons is a lot of weight to have behind any ute (that's empty, or even loaded but gcvm may dictate that) that anyone has mentioned here.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I just did some sums.
    GCVM is 6,000kg for a new Colorado. Yes....No??
    Weight is pretty well unknown but say 2,000kgs minimum for a dualcab.
    So boat (3,500kgs) + vehicle (2,000kgs) = 5,500kgs.
    That leaves a rough maximum of 500kgs carrying capacity in the ute which includes people (say 400kgs for 5 people). Will the kerb weight include a full tank of diesel?? Another 100+kgs to add to the GCVM.
    So theoretically you'll be towing 3,500kgs with an empty ute. (pending actual weight of the ute).

Will the 3.5 ton towing capacity be based on the towbar capacity or GCVM capacities?? ie Can you tow the 3.5tons from a towbar or do you have to have a 5th wheel setup??

Use the 200 series Cruiser you already have.

Sold my Cruiser in October 2011. Needed the money to get over a hump. Nothing like a $70K tax bill due to a technicality. Love running my own Business, but now things are going better...

Flexibility. Sure the GCVM is 6 ton, which means I'll have to be careful with gear. But I won't have this ute for long - at least it puts off the necessity to buy another 200 Series for a little while, if I need the flexibility. That way I don't HAVE to buy boat and car at the same time.

Chatted with Toyota Mate today. There will be no 3.5 ton Hilux in the foreseeable future. 2.5 ton is it. Tundras have trouble getting a legitimate 3.5 ton rating here too, Toyota say 3 ton max. But the Tundra's just not an option anyway, but it was an interesting chat. Dual cab 200 series will be WELL over $70K and all will need floor mats to cover the vinyl, and none will be auto. He's trying to get me to buy a 2008 200 Series Sahara in his yard - I put a stupid deal to him and he surprised me, he says he'll work the numbers and see what he can do! But no, not yet. Hmmm, tempting, but not yet!

landcruiser dual cab to be 6000 more than single cab(56000)so $62000

Want a real dual cab ute to tow a fairdinkum 3,500kg even with a payload of well over 1,400kg in it??
    It makes those Japanese dual cabs that can tow 3-3/15 ton look like Datsun 1200 utes
    And they're waaaaay less then $60,000 (closer to $50,000) without haggling.

http://www.landrover.com/au/en/lr/de...icity-pick-up/

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...5541&silo=1011
    http://www.carpoint.com.au/showroom/...over/defender/

Scotty if the 130 was made by toyota everyone would drive them. I want one, just can't afford the extra ute for while its in the shop.
    That puma motor setup is so bad even the lr purists hate them.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

I'm with GBC on that one. Love the simplicity of the 130 , the noise , the rattles but anything electrical in them and the motor is more trouble than it is worth. Some in the clubs have done great conversions and got great vehicles that are simple and pretty unbreakable. I've even seen a auto conversion with lots of grunt , decent seats but then you get into the area of a modified vehicle and what it is worth if you ever sell it. Good news is you don't get your parts off LR. It is a bloody good old school chassis.

Speaking of which. does anyone know anything about the new 2013 hilux if there is a complete refurb or same model being released?? very interested to see what the put out!!

GBC the puma is great. The problem is the angles of the new set up. Can't lift them very far (not that you need to). The original clutches with the puma were poor but they have changed them now. The diffs and backlash seem to be a drama in some of them. I would either go for a late model td5 or wait for the new one in 2-3 years. Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by j_man_84 View Post
    Speaking of which. does anyone know anything about the new 2013 hilux if there is a complete refurb or same model being released?? very interested to see what the put out!!
    There is nothing planned re towing capacity. It will remain at 2.5 tonne.

As a side note, I thought it clear that I want something with some luxury. So the Cruiser ute, the Landy, or any other Spartan Workhorse is NOT my car. OK? Geez, can't some folks read for comprehension?

I didn't think work utes, by definition, were luxurious. I guess it depends on perspective. Apart from the dodgy handbrake position I prefer the feel of a Defender any day over a Jap ute for example but I have not been in a new Colourado and I understand it and the Ranga are bits of tarts so they should feel welcoming. Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

hey tim,i know you want 3.5t towing but i will give ya some info on the new bt50 towing a 2400 kevlacat which will be the same weight as a 685cc..towes it well but deffinatly isnt a speed machine with it on the back..tows it up the highway sitting on 90-100kph easy...had an issue with the brakes on the trailer 1 day on the ramp,they locked on.towed the fully loaded trailer up the ramp in 4 high with the trailer breaks fully locked on..done it easy...and if ya want luxury they deffinatly have all the bells and whistles in the gt model (top)which i have...payed 51k for it diveaway an got $500 rebate back from mazda...personally i wouldnt like to be towing that sort of weight with a 4cyl but i guess u wont know till ya give it a go..good luck with it mate
    cheers rosco

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    There is nothing planned re towing capacity. It will remain at 2.5 tonne.

As a side note, I thought it was clear that I want something with some luxury. So the Cruiser ute, the Landy, or any other Spartan Workhorse is NOT my car. OK? Geez, can't some folks read for comprehension?
    -1 for gramma !

So what's the definition of some luxury and spartan?

The dash of the Landy looks OK to me but it may not have enough fake wood or fake carbon fibre