Thread: Alvey 725 non-casting: improving free spool?

Alvey 725 non-casting: improving free spool?

Hi Folks,
    Has anyone got any hot tips on improving the freespool on alvey snapper winches? I had a great day at the reef with mine yesterday, but got sick of having to strip the line off the spool to get a bait down. I was only running a number 9 ball and I'm sure that more lead would help, but I try and use as little lead as possible.

I'm going to disassemble, clean out the grease and replace it with reel oil as step one. Not sure what step two is!

Cheers
    Craig

Re: Alvey 725 non-casting: improving free spool?

Hi Craig,
    I apologise in advance for stating what may be the obvious. Alvey have a spring loaded knurled knob which controls the freespool. Too tight and it wont, too loose and you get over-run, and any furthur and the reel comes off.
    I use a light silicon oil on mine---as used on disk brake calipers. ---Global auto spares. Also spray the inside with inox.
    Another trick when drift fishing, is to run the line out as you pass over the reef---boat still moving into the current, and be ready to reel in quickly as, or just before the line goes slack. The line will run out easily, and you reel in and keep the line firm as the current takes you back over the reef.
    Cav(J.C.)

Cav, your a legend.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, this is another case of the obvious being the problem! This is my first non-cast Alvey and I assumed that the knurled nut was simply a retainer, not an adjuster, so had it done up tight. I'll back it off and see how I go. Good tip on the silicon oil too.

Cheers
    Craig

Hi Craig,
    One other tip I can give you about the big Alveys, is to get rid of one of the knobs or handles. Either unscrew it, or cut it off. That way you can put your rod handle under your right arm, have your drag set right and winch with your right arm and hand without the extra knob getting in the way.
    No up and down with the rod, just hold the tip up and winch. Saves the back I can tell you. Also helps your stability in a moving boat. You can brace yourself and winch away.
    John Cav.