Thread: Reel took a swim in saltwater

Reel took a swim in saltwater

my luvias reel took a swim yesterday in saltwater Its only fairly new. Some people think you should dunk it in freshwater to get the salt out. Only people think that this drives the salt further into hard to reach places. What's your opinion? What's the best remedy?

Re: Reel took a swim in saltwater

Get it properly serviced by Daiwa or by a local reel repairer. It needs to be taken apart and re-greased...

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I had a reel submerged in an estuary for quite some time (weeks).
    When I found it again, I stripped it down to it's elements - every bearing, spring etc, then put all the parts in a container containing 2 stroke fuel. Shook them around before carefully drying and re-oiling each part.

Then re-assembled and it works fine.

Re-assembly is the hard part. If you don't have the confidence then get someone you trust to do it.

Main thing is to get it done quickly. Air will do more damage to the reel after dunking than the saltwater will.

About 4 or 5 years ago i bought a Shimano Sahara 4000 and on the first trip managed to throw the whole lot in the salt water.. Managed to get it back after half an hour or so and just gave it a wash with a water bottle and the hose when i got home. I sprayed the inside of it where the handle goes through with some lanox and that was it. Cant remember why i didnt pull it down at the time but anyway i stripped it down on the weekend cos the bail arm was getting a bit stiff and apart from a bit of salt there the rest of it wasn't too bad at all. Cleaned up all the parts, oiled up and put it all back together and hope to get another 4 or 5 years out of it. Some reels seal better than others i have found but i would pull it down if you feel comfortable doing it and clean it up and put it back together - hopefully it should be all sweet!

Regards,

Lachie

i always wash with hot water in the sink as hot water dissolves salt so while water may push salt in further the chances are the hot water will dissolve the salt enough... also leave the reels to soak in hot water.

yeah i took it to repair bloke via local tackle shop. Hopefully they do a good job. cheers guys