Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spin or Overhead for 1st reef rig

Spin or Overhead for 1st reef rig

Hey all. I am looking at getting my first offshore setup. At this stage I am looking at a setup up for fishing the reef off 1770.
    As the title suggests the first question is spin or o/h. I don't mind either way but some advice from those who fish out there would really help.
    Next question is after deciding on one of the above which reel//rod combo to go for. Not looking at the top of the line gear as that is out of the budget.
    Then of course lastly is the weight of braid, leader etc to finish it all off.
    Thanks in advance
    Haydn

Re: Spin or Overhead for 1st reef rig

Mate I am on full spin gear these days. Overheads tend to roll due to the forces hapening with the line laying on top of the rod. Some custom rod builders sprial wrap the guides to counter this force but you won't find a cheap one of those in a shop.
    For a budget, get yourself a Penn Slammer 560 with 50 lb braid on an Ugly stick or better still T curve deep jig 200 spin and you are away. It will hold 300 yards of 50 pound braid which should be good enough unless you're planning to fish reel deep.
    I use 60 pound Black magic supple leader to 50lb braid then a Shogun rolling swivel and 80 or better still 100 pound Black magic tough trace for the terminal paternoster rig. I use Gamkatsu Octopus 9/0 as my preferred hook and a decent assortment of dropper sinkers to suit the current.

For a starter combo ya can't go past the tried and proven tractor of the over head world the Shimmano TLD25. One of those bad boys with a 15-24kg live fibre rod and 80lb braid will bring up 99% of the fish you will be chasing offshore. I lend a similar combo to any green horns on my boat and it almost never fails in landing some decent fish for them.

I use both overhead and spin when offshore. Go for what you think is comfortable. Keep in mind that if you go overhead you will need a gimbal belt to stop the rod turning as Daintreeboy mentions.

If it was my first offshore set up, I would tend to agree with No Excuses. That would be a reasonable priced and good quality set up. (gran a cheap $10 gimbal belt to go with it)

I use 55lb braid and 60lb wind on shock leader with either a 60lb, 80lb or 100lb leader depending upon what I'm chasing and where.

Cheers Adam

thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.
    cant wait to get out there

One other matter to be aware of whether you go spin or overhead, just be aware of gear ratio as well. A really slow ratio eg. 4.-1 means you will have a smooth fight, but trout will catch you out often with such a slow attack from you. On the other hand the high end ratios like 6.1-1 and upward, can make cranking feel like hard work, unless you have a top shelf reel with bearings to burn. This is especially so with spin reels in my view. So if you go spin and only want to spend mid range dollars, make sure you get a mid range ratio like 4.6-1 and up to 5.4-1.

Cheers
    John
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Hi
    I use a 15-24 kg Live fibre and an Okuma 15 with 50lb fins braid. Hubby has the same but with an Okuma 20. Suits us fine but i am very partial to Wilson Live Fibres and would highly recommend them.

Ronnie

for my money - there is nothing quite like fighting a fish on an overhead outfit and imho - you get better bang for your buck when buying an overhead outfit. I still feel if you go a spin outfit you need to spend big

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I prefer overhead for that sort of fishing but spinning gear is great now too. I agree with NAGG that generally you need to spend more on the reel with a threadline than an overhead to get the same functionality.
    As for twisting I find with a rod built smack on the back bone that it isnt an issue.
    I used a TLD 20 and Daiwa 15STP for years and it was a great set up and did the job. However I have moved to a Saltiga jigging rod and Avet JX and the difference is amazing. The weight difference is a big plus after fishing all day and the cranking power is chalk and cheese even with a faster retrieve than the TLD. This is the first jigging rod I have used and I find for the up and down battles on the reef the long butt section is great for sticking under the arm and cranking away- no need for a belt. I find 50lb braid is enough- not many fast runners on the reef that will take much line so you can fish it right up to 50lb and forget the 1/3rd rule- if you drag allows it. Thinner line also enables you to reach the bottom with less weight.
    Plenty of good options out there just define your budget, what you will be using it for (eg if you want to do a bit of jigging then a faster ratio will be benificial) and what your personal preference is then go shopping.

Thanks for all the help guys. I decided to head down to Agnes Bait and Tackle and have a chat. Walked out with a Shimano TLD 20 on an Ugly Stick Bluewater 15-24kg loaded up with 300yds of 50lb powerpro braid. A roll of 60lb Black magic leader, some 8/0 hooks and sinkers forthe grand total of $445. Think I got a pretty good deal.

Not a bad rig to start mate. You forgot the 80 or 100 pound mono trace but for your paternosters. Any excuse for another trip to the tackle shop!

yep any excuse will do.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys. I decided to head down to Agnes Bait and Tackle and have a chat. Walked out with a Shimano TLD 20 on an Ugly Stick Bluewater 15-24kg loaded up with 300yds of 50lb powerpro braid. A roll of 60lb Black magic leader, some 8/0 hooks and sinkers forthe grand total of $445. Think I got a pretty good deal.
    a good robust outfit ......... nice ! - should last and serve you well.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey Mate , what ratio is your Avet JX ?
    I have an MXL which is a cracker of a reel, I have bought and sold a lot of Avets from a supplier in US who has become a friend. Ive sold heaps to friends and also on Ebay Au. They are not that well known here yet.

Cheers

John

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    I prefer overhead for that sort of fishing but spinning gear is great now too. I agree with NAGG that generally you need to spend more on the reel with a threadline than an overhead to get the same functionality.
    As for twisting I find with a rod built smack on the back bone that it isnt an issue.
    I used a TLD 20 and Daiwa 15STP for years and it was a great set up and did the job. However I have moved to a Saltiga jigging rod and Avet JX and the difference is amazing. The weight difference is a big plus after fishing all day and the cranking power is chalk and cheese even with a faster retrieve than the TLD. This is the first jigging rod I have used and I find for the up and down battles on the reef the long butt section is great for sticking under the arm and cranking away- no need for a belt. I find 50lb braid is enough- not many fast runners on the reef that will take much line so you can fish it right up to 50lb and forget the 1/3rd rule- if you drag allows it. Thinner line also enables you to reach the bottom with less weight.
    Plenty of good options out there just define your budget, what you will be using it for (eg if you want to do a bit of jigging then a faster ratio will be benificial) and what your personal preference is then go shopping.
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Hey Odes how would you compare one with say a Daiwa Saltist Hyper speed 30 (the red one). What avet is close to that reel size etc. and how would it compare quality wise. I've heard good things about Avets and my brother is on the lookout for a small OH.