Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spin or Overhead for 1st reef rig

Re: Spin or Overhead for 1st reef rig

I know PENN have a threshold of $299 retail for reels made in China. Anything over that is made in USA.Although I did buy a Baja Special
    113hn that retailed for under $299 and it was made in USA.
    The best made reels I have are my Jiigging Masters which are made in Taiwan, and yet the bearings in them are made in Germany.

I think the threshold is actually $249 rrp. Just bought the chinese made Penn Fathom 25N.

I think the design plays a far bigger part than the country of origin.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyh View Post
    No not saltist...saltiga ld 2010......thats what they told me...and no reason to disbelieve. All the fin nors are chinese now....penn..a long long list these days
    Saltist and Saltiga lever drag reels are made in Korea. I own a single speed Saltiga SA-LD20HS. Saltist star drag reels are made in Korea, too. "Made in Korea" is stamped on the reel foot.

Thanks Brent, Looks like someone in a tackle shop didnt know what they were talking about.........are the saltiga starts made in Japan?

Yes, as far as I know, the Saltiga star drags are still made in Japan. I don't own one, but I have read that they feel a lot more "refined" than the Saltiga lever drags. My Saltiga lever drag is not as smooth-winding as my Talica 12, but they are very rugged, reliable reels (at least my one has been).

Quote Originally Posted by diabolical View Post
    I think the threshold is actually $249 rrp. Just bought the chinese made Penn Fathom 25N.

I think the design plays a far bigger part than the country of origin.
    The design stays the same, but the quality of materials vary.

I love my Talica 16. Made in Japan quality if you get off on that. Big smooth drag a and small in profile.

Cheers