Thread: Fuji guide frame styles

Fuji guide frame styles

Hi all,
    Outside of visual difference, what is the difference between (say) an SV frame and MN /N frame? Is is strength? Are there circumstances where you would not use a MN style frame and use an SV style?
    Ditto the question for the single footers: why use a LV frame over a Y frame or vice versa?
    Cheers, Mike

Re: Fuji guide frame styles

mikeyh,

Well the SV and MN frames are completely different. The MN frames are almost the same shape as the new K guides except for the fact that the ring isn't tilted forward. Most of the SV size guides are taller than the MN guides as well so if you want a slightly lower profile guide than use the MN guides. I like using the MN guides on popper and jigging rod builds.
    The same goes for the LV and Y single foot guides. The LV guides are lower guide plus you get sizes 6 & 7 in the LV and not in the Y model guides.

Hope that helps.

Hi Barick,
    Thanks mate.... I probably should have thought about my question better. I am familiar with the different styles but wondered if there was strength differences or performance differences between the similar styles of guide. You have made some good points about Y vs LV. Cheers

Mikey,

In regards to the Y and LV frames the designs of the frames are the same except for a couple of differences. The bottom of the tang of the Y frame leading to the foot is more re-enforced and would cope better with a heavier load. The thickness of the actual frames itself are both the same and both Y and LV guides use the same metals and ring types ("O" Ring, Hardloy, Alconite, SiC and Gold Cermet).
    In regards to the N and MN frames, things are a little different. The designs are slightly different and the materials used vary. The frame thickness of the MN guide is heavier and wraps around the ring better which makes the guide a stronger guide than the N series. The N series is a lighter guide and is sold with a larger range of frame materials and rings, however if you like SiC guides the MN series is available with SiC rings in 3 different flavours of frame colours and materials, Gun-Smoke, Environmental Chrome and Ion Plated Chrome.

Hope that helps