Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak suggestions

Kayak suggestions

any recommendations:

1. will be used for fishing
    2. easy to load and unload single handed
    3. facility for sounder etc
    4. able to carry a heavy person
    5. paddle type (preferably with foor controlled rudder)
    6. stable

Re: Kayak suggestions

In the passage mostly Greg? I would opt for a Viking Tempo if that is correct. Small enough to be easily handled, large enough to be a good fishing platform and they pimp up very well.
    Viking Kayaks are at Chermside still or at Mooloolaba i think.

http://www.vikingkayak.com.au/fishin...empo-fisherman

Come with or without the lecky.
    Jack.

Malibu kayaks are also very good and the new ones have all the hatches and storage options you could want.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Take a look at the Jackson Coosa as well Greg, from everything I have seen they look like a very well designed yak suitable to most situations.

http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/kayak-fishing/coosa/

Might have to wait though, I think they sell out pretty much as soon as they import them.....

Kev

Adventure Outlet at Southport stock the Jackson kayaks and about a gazillion other varieties, might be worth a trip down the coast to see what they have....

Kev

Greg,

If you are a big guy like I am, then always consider the capacity of the yak (ie. your weight + gear + a little extra weight allowance). You don't want to be running too close to the maximum capacity otherwise you'll be sitting very low in the water. The issues with sitting low are: (1) any wave chop will be coming over the side (2) you'll need to paddle a lot harder to push through the water = getting tired real quickly.

Also consider ALL the likely locations you'll be using the yak for. In other words don't get something too small or too short. It's generally considered that anything under 3 meters would track to well or be that stable in lumpy waters. Maybe in time you might want to do a weekend away and need to carry tent etc. - so will the yak have capacity to carry extra weight and items?

I'm a Hobie convert. Love them as they are very stable, well designed and thought out, and have huge capapcity. And they use the mirage drive (pedal drive), which doesn't make you tired.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

have had a hobie twin Pete..but i want something for a bit of fitness work also..so am going for a paddle type..probably a Prowler at this stage.

No Jackson Cudas in the country..next will arrive late July/ early August.

There is a Coosa in stock.

Looks like a prowler 4.1 will be the go. great deal on the yak with basic sounder fitted.

I'm no expert on prowlers Greg, but from what I've read the 4.1 is only slightly lighter than the 4.5 which is apparently the better boat.

Always go for length if its a close decision unless you want a creek basher.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Have to agree, go with the lenght, get the 4.5.

I bought a prowler 4.1 today..collect it Wednesday..will see how it goes.

Bream watch out! they look like a nice yak Greg, going to put a leccie on it?
    Tangles KFC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I bought a prowler 4.1 today..collect it Wednesday..will see how it goes.
    Good on ya Greg. If you are ever up this way and want to cath up for a fish sing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    Bream watch out! they look like a nice yak Greg, going to put a leccie on it?
    no leccie..I may get a bit fitter and less fatter by using it. BUT..any chance of a tow to Tiger Mullet?