Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steering Delema

Re: Steering Delema

Wow have been blown away by the response to this. Fed the more I think your right. The cable moves in and around the helm when I turn the wheel. The motor however is unresponsive. I can easily manually turn the motor. Does this make you think that the helm is the problem not broken cable. Looking at the cable find it hard to believe it could snap. If its the helm does that require a full kit change.

From a hint the dealer inadvertently gave when I purchased my second hand (but only 3 mths old) boat, I think my steering needs bleeding.

Is it the same stuff as transmission fluid? I read on here that merely opening the steering wheel cap and lock to lock turning while gradually adding fluid will sort it out. (just yeah or nay please... Don't let me hijack the thread)

The cable moves in and around the helm when I turn the wheel. The motor however is unresponsive. I can easily manually turn the motor.
    That does indeed sound like a broken cable, if the inner core goes in & out and the outer sheath is fixed at the helm & the motor then the inner core has to be broken.

I must admit I'll be very surprised if this is the case, I've never seen a broken inner core but a couple of other posters have said they have.

I've seen broken helms, seized cables and even cables coming out from the outer sheath when it has rusted out.

Yeh the helm seems fine and when I manually pivot the motor there is a grinding noise in the cable sheath . Like was mentioned earlier may be a broken crimp rather then snapped cable. Can't wait to go hydraulic. All advice has been so greatly appreciated. Especially for a new member. Will hopefully post an update soon. I'm headding up to stanage bay and the percy's with my cousin code name cods wallup in June. (luckily in another boat with hydraulics) will Definitely let you all know how we go And post some pics and offer any advice I can.

The other thing to consider is that to change the steering cable you may have to lift the motor off the boat but hydraulic steering can be fitted without doing that, just means you would have to cut the old cable to remove it.

Just went bias . Bloke couldn't believe the cable could break . Will mot have to lift motor off and should be cheap easy fix bout 130eq. They do a hydraulic kit for about 850 so that is def nxt purchase.

When you get the old one out pull the inner core out and tell us what you think happened.

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    From a hint the dealer inadvertently gave when I purchased my second hand (but only 3 mths old) boat, I think my steering needs bleeding.

Is it the same stuff as transmission fluid? I read on here that merely opening the steering wheel cap and lock to lock turning while gradually adding fluid will sort it out. (just yeah or nay please... Don't let me hijack the thread)
    Walrus first you will need a filler hose that attaches to the bottle and the helm.SeaStar sell bottles of Steering Fluid with the filler hose.It is just a matter of attaching the bottle and hose and inverting the bottle to keep just enough fluid in the hose and rotating lock to lock.
    You will see bubbles move up and out the fluid as you do this,just keep adding small amounts of fluid into the hose as the air comes out your helm.After a while,it is a slow process,bubbles will cease and while rotating wheel and keeping the oil sucked in,unscrew the fitting and replace the cap.Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

Sounds like the retaining clip that holds the cable in place at the steering box end making the outer of the cable move ,make sure the clip hasn't dislodged ,it maybe sitting in the console somewhere ...Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Thanks Jim. Sorry guys for diverting the thread. Over and out.

Well not sure if anyone will be still listening bit I have replaced the cable. Was a battle but have learnt a few more things about boats . The cable break seems to be down in the rod that goes through the outboard . If I manage to cut it open I will post some pics. Once again cheers for listening

Good Stuff,you are now back on the water and ready to pull some fish over the gunnels !

You can cut it open, you will find crystallized salt and possibly corrosion. Me, I would spend that effort trying to prevent salt and water ingress thru application of some lube to the new cable ;^)

Liberal coatings of inox or similar before use and after washing might help. If ur gunna keep the boat, start stashing pennies for hydraulic, it's chalk and cheese literally

Where the steering rod comes out of the tilt tube un the outboard there will have been a nut that screws onto the tilt tube. There should be a seal of some kind inside the nut
    , an o ring on some motors, a felt washer on others.

Make sure it is there and is in good condition as it stops salt water getting into the tilt tube and then into the cable. It is a 10 cent part that can save you many times that amount in grief.

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

All sealed up cheers boys.