Thread: What gear..........

What gear..........

Hope this is in the right section.

The youngest daughter is at Mt Isa for a couple of years and likes to go fishing, but has no gear. She's been angling hard to relieve at Karumba when the opportunity arises, as the boss there is a keen fisho. And yes, the pun was intended.

She'll probably be down here again shortly and driving back, so I got to thinking I could give her some of my gear. I googled what species could be caught there, and it's a pretty diverse range, so I want to cater for as much as I can.

So, what to give her? Had a look in the shed and I'm thinking of three combos: a 2-4kg rod with a 2500 reel, a 4-6kg rod with a 4000 reel and maybe a 6-8kg rod. I'm unclear of what size reel to put on the heavier rod. I've also got a 6kg Live Fibre overhead that I could put a Shimano TRG200 on. I'm still tossing up what b/s line to use on these.

I'm assuming that bait will be used.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TOL

Re: What gear..........

Your not looking to adopt by any chance are you?

Yeah mate, an adopted child like you would be great!!

Own boat, somebody to take me out and listen to my crap about how good I used to be, somebody to listen to me whingeing about Greece, Spain, the Eurozone and the Australian stockmarket, the effect all this is having on my super and how I could fix things if only I were PM.

A number of people have asked me why I don't have a boat. On a serious note, well, I could quite easily, but you can't cater for experience. At my age, what's the point? It takes years to get that sort of experience. I can't even back the family car satisfactorily!! Anyway, I'd rather spend the money on the latest Chevy Corvette on offer from the States and which can be legally modified to comply with the current ADR's. If only I was allowed to.

So, do you want me start proceedings?

TOL

Sounds super fun but I might just leave it at that.

Thanks

I forgot to mention in my original thread that normally I'd go light on the line. Because you never know what you just might hook up to up there, I was thinking of just going a little bit heavier.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

TOL

G'day Tol ..What type of fishing will she be doing is the main thought. From the bosses boat? Can she cast with o'heads? She needs a good 20lb braid outfit and a big outfit for big'un's I reckon. Trolling, casting, live bait? Get to work dad.... Btw I've been driving a triton 4wd diesel, very impressed..

Yep, you're right Terry. I think I'm reading too much into this. Maybe I just give her a couple of combos that I think will do the job, and if not, then she can make her own arrangements.

The Triton issue has gone a bit cold by the sound of it, so I don't know what the go is there. Last I heard it was still a goer.

TOL

Quote Originally Posted by theoldlegend View Post
    Hope this is in the right section.

The youngest daughter is at Mt Isa for a couple of years and likes to go fishing, but has no gear. She's been angling hard to relieve at Karumba when the opportunity arises, as the boss there is a keen fisho. And yes, the pun was intended.

She'll probably be down here again shortly and driving back, so I got to thinking I could give her some of my gear. I googled what species could be caught there, and it's a pretty diverse range, so I want to cater for as much as I can.

So, what to give her? Had a look in the shed and I'm thinking of three combos: a 2-4kg rod with a 2500 reel, a 4-6kg rod with a 4000 reel and maybe a 6-8kg rod. I'm unclear of what size reel to put on the heavier rod. I've also got a 6kg Live Fibre overhead that I could put a Shimano TRG200 on. I'm still tossing up what b/s line to use on these.

I'm assuming that bait will be used.

TOL
    Decisions and i reckon there will be a lot of lures needed,

well the first two outfits sound good but for the heavier outfit for the dams and rivers a Baitcaster, 30lb braid and 40-50 lb leader with a box full of lures.

The TRG would go alright though as would the 6-8kg rod but that doesnt involve Ebay and its probably spooled already.
    Tangles KFC

Just give her the lot..including the Alveys. It is causing you too much grief with the decision making. There is plenty of gear just up the road (Tangle's house) for when you want to go fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldlegend View Post
    I'm still tossing up what b/s line to use on these.
    TOL
    I have to agree. A lot of the hype around fishing lines now-a-days is BS.
    Just bung on some 8lb Platypuss on a reel and some 20lb Platypuss on another reel and jobs done. All bases covered.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    I have to agree. A lot of the hype around fishing lines now-a-days is BS.
    Just bung on some 8lb Platypuss on a reel and some 20lb Platypuss on another reel and jobs done. All bases covered.
    TOL,

Ignore them all, they don't understand, so go ahead and ponder and toss up the possiblities as much as you like, and if i can suggest that you only make the decision towards the end of your next DDD,

Personally i think you should start a help line for others in the same boat..as you understand life's little dilemma's.

Just remember to ignore those two esteemed Ausfisher's on matters like this as they have their own little capers going on, one tinkers with old unloved machinery, and one has a pontoon with carpet to catch his mis-directed casts.

So TOL, reveal in your indecision!!! we are not talking about concrete stairs here or GREENIES, or Pollies, these simple questions are far more important and arent as simple as they first appear...would 20 or 30 pounds be better or not, maybe 25?. If only they made 26 pounds then life would be better... maybe.. but then you would never get out of the shed...

Mike
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    TOL,

Ignore them all, they don't understand, so go ahead and ponder and toss up the possiblities as much as you like, and if i can suggest that you only make the decision towards the end of your next DDD,

Personally i think you should start a help line for others in the same boat..as you understand life's little dilemma's.

Just remember to ignore those two esteemed Ausfisher's on matters like this as they have their own little capers going on, one tinkers with old unloved machinery, and one has a pontoon with carpet to catch his mis-directed casts.

So TOL, reveal in your indecision!!! we are not talking about concrete stairs here or GREENIES, or Pollies, these simple questions are far more important and arent as simple as they first appear...would 20 or 30 pounds be better or not, maybe 25?. If only they made 26 pounds then life would be better... maybe.. but then you would never get out of the shed...

Mike
    thus speaketh Reverend Tangles of the United Tackle Church

When I was a kid and lived in Mt Isa, we used to go fishing out at the dams and creeks. All freshwater fish yellowbelly, silver perch etc. We used to use an empty stubby, with mono wrapped aorund it. A single hook with no lead and piece of ox haeart on it. Throw it at least 5-6 metres into the water and as soon as it hit, a fish was on.

Im sure it had chnaged these days, a few after we used to go, people started using dynamite to clear the water of anything living. Up until then, the stubby "rod" was all that was needed.

Cheers Adam

The reel size looks oK. I normally fish Weipa with 4-6Kg rods for flicking lures but 6 - 10kg for live bait. I use 3500 Baitrunner and have a mixture of Diawa and Shimano reels from 2500 up to 10000 depending on target. I use 20lb line (braid) and have 12Lb for when I am feeling lucky, as you can be fishing for bream and hook a Black Jew or big Fingermark. So why take a chance.
    Stan

I am not addicted to buying fishing gear - I just need more than I can afford